Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Learning as I go...

I received a very enlightening comment from an anonymous reader the other day and it really made me realize something.  First, that there might be people reading my blog who really have no idea who I am.  This is exciting to me, but it also made me think that I may not be fully explaining myself or my background enough on my blog.  So I wanted to take tonight's writings and do a small intro about who I am and explain a little further my purpose in doing a blog.  (Warning:  It's a little long tonight, so you might want to grab a snack!) 

To give a little background - my name is Kevin Buchanan, I'm 35 years old, and I live in Nashville, Tennessee.  I was born in Memphis and spent most of my life in Jackson and have lived in Nashville for about 6 years now.  My mom still lives in Jackson with her husband.  My dad passed away in 2004 from brain cancer.  I will definitely write more about that at a later time.  I have two sisters - Christy, the middle sibling, who is married, lives in Murfreesboro, and has two kids, Martha Ann and Wylie.  And Cara, the youngest sibling, who is also married and lives in Lebanon.  I work in sales for a photography company which allows me to travel quite a bit and I really enjoy that.  If I had to describe myself - I would say that I am someone who has a passion for life and always pursuing something greater.  My faith in God not only shapes who I am but has also brought me through many experiences in life - both good and bad.  Family is very important to me and what I know for sure is that the greatest expression in life is love.  Some of my interests include the outdoors, running, television shows, films, great food, spending time with family and friends - and my favorite color is blue.  That's a very brief glimpse into my life but I'd say it's a good starting point.

My purpose in doing this blog is simply to put my life out there in hopes that it might encourage others.  For me, writing is a creative way for me to express myself.  So in some ways, blogging helps me to exercise this form of expression.  I also believe that I have big goals in life and putting that out there also keeps me accountable and documents progress being made in those areas.  I do realize that I haven't listed what all of my 2011 goals are.  The other day when I was at Panera Bread, I did write out a 10-step plan to keeping my goals going.  Each one builds off of the other and step one is to get a book I wrote called The Journey published.  I had it self-published last year and am now pursuing a publishing company to help get the book out to a wider audience.  The Journey gives an account of my dad's life and how he was able to make a positive difference in the lives of others.  He knew the secret to really living a fulfilled life and his story can encourage others to truly live life to the fullest.  I am currently getting my manuscript out to various book publishers and will definitely update on how that is going.

The last thing I wanted to explain further is how I end every blog.  I know of many people that keep a gratitude journal.  I definitely know that focusing on those things which we are grateful for helps to have a deeper, more enriched life.  So I like to end each day with finding 5 things that I am thankful for about that day.  Some things may seem trivial but I do believe that being thankful for the small things as well as the big things in life are important.  And let's be honest, not every day will you find 5 life-changing things to be thankful for - so it's great to find happiness in the smaller things as well.  This is something I would encourage everyone to do!

Whew, this blog is definitely my longest and hopefully no one has fallen asleep while reading - but I did want to try and explain a little more for those of you who do not know who I am.  And I promise that as the year goes on, everyone will learn more about myself - and maybe be encouraged in your own life. 

Today, I am grateful for:  1.  My focus time this morning talking about being peacemakers in the world.  2.  A really hot shower (my shower sometimes only gives warm water)  3.  A great day at work  4.  Seeing a love for life in one of the families I worked with today  5.  The anonymous reader that helped me refine my writings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment