Thursday, January 13, 2011

Having A Vision...

I got home tonight and was watching the Oprah show (surprising I know).  One of her guests was Bob Greene and he was talking about sticking to our New Year's goals.  I liked what he said and I know that I can apply these to my own life and goals I have set for the year 2011.  I thought I would share these for anyone that has set goals for this year or just has a dream in their own life that needs to start!  He gave 5 steps to keep things going in the right direction.  I've listed the steps and then written out my take on it: 

1.  Have a realistic vision for yourself.  I definitely believe that everyone should have a vision for what their life should be about.  In my focus time each morning, I'm reading The Purpose Driven Life and it has really helped me to refine the vision I have for my own life.  The other key word is realistic.  We all know what our talents, abilities, and strengths are and so our vision for our life should align with those - not someone else's.  (Although I may look like Michael Phelps, being a gold medal winner at the Olympics is not a realistic vision for my own life at 35 haha!)  One thing Bob said that I definitely am trying to apply to my own life was this - When you know your vision, every decision you make in life should align with that vision. 

2.  Convince yourself you deserve your vision.  It is very easy to get caught up in doing for others and being too much of a "people-please" that we forget our own dreams and end up putting ourselves last on the last.  I believe that if we know the vision for our life - no matter how big it might seem to us - we should believe that it can happen and that it will help us live the most fulfilled life - and yes, we deserve that!!

3.  Identify the barriers that are holding you back.  Bob said that these barriers could include things like toxic relationships, unfulfilling jobs, and money worries.  It could also be fear or lack of motivation or your life getting off track.  However, once we can identify what's holding us back, we can move on to step 4.

4.  Break through the barriers.  Most of us know our barriers and we also know what we need to do to break through these barriers.  It's simply a matter of doing it.  I know what my faults are (many of you know too haha!) and I know what my struggles are.  If we know our vision and our decision need to be aligned with that vision, then barriers only get us off track.  In my own life, it's deciding not to let my faults or struggles get the best of me.  And sometimes breaking through means making tough decision that will help us out in the long run.

5.  Get the support you need and put yourself first.  I think that sharing your goals and dreams with others helps to get the support that you need to accomplish these things.  Also, surrounding yourself with other like-minded individuals helps motivate you to stay on track.  Putting yourself first is not something everyone agrees with or even feels comfortable doing.  I don't believe it means being overly selfish or never putting others before ourself.  But the truth is, if we don't take time out for ourselves, we will never be able to truly give to others. 

I'm hoping to share more of my goals and dreams in the coming weeks.  They definitely tie in to what I believe is the vision for my life - what God has planned for me.  I liked these 5 steps and hope they help you in your own journeys. 

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Getting back to work today  2.  Seeing the sun shining outside  3.  Another dancing video I got of Martha Ann  4.  President Obama's speech last night  5.  Heat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment