Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Are You Happy?

Today has been a day of various emotions.  I travel with my job and I worked in Kentucky today.  The drive up there was absolutely beautiful with all of the snow!  For most of the interstate that I was on, there was a very wide median with lots and lots of trees covered in pure white snow.  If there was anything of color, it stood out dramatically and I was so happy driving!  I kept wanting to get out and walk through the woods and take pictures or film myself dancing around in the snow because it made me really happy haha!  Then later on this evening I found myself worrying about a particular problem I'm going through.  Finances are a little tight this month and I know it will get better - it's just the nature of my job at this time of year.  However, I found myself over-worrying about things and letting my mind go to that place where I kinda freak out for a little while.  On the drive home, I finally slapped myself in the face (not literally although maybe I should have) and reminded myself that worrying about it was not going to make it any better.  In fact - worry only produces more worry so why let that rob me of my happiness?  Taking action is a much better response so I made a conscious decision to focus my energy on the result rather than the problem.  So I turned the music up in my car and didn't let worry defeat me for another minute!  Dare I say it?  Don't Worry.. Be Happy

I got home and watched today's episode of Oprah and the show was about - Are You Happy?  It was very interesting to see what aspects of life define our happiness and how so many people have it wrong when it comes to what really makes them happy.  If someone were to ask me if I was happy - I would honestly say a big YES!  I have so much in my life to be happy about.  For me, the foundation of happiness comes out of my belief in something greater - that being God.  And from that, comes a very long list of what makes me happy.  Yes, there are things that I worry about at times, there are areas in my life where I still want to grow, and so much more that I want to do in life - but anything in my life that might be considered a negative is so very minute compared to all the things that make life great.  I'm still laughing that I wrote - don't worry, be happy!  Remember that song? Haha! 

So today was a good day for me to do a little check-up on myself and see how I let negative things affect me.  I would encourage you to look at your own life and ask the question - are you happy?  If not, then what steps do you need to take in order to get happy.  I am not one who lives in a fantasy world where everything is great all the time - problems arise and sometimes life is hard - but I do believe that it's our reaction to those things that define who we are. 

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Beautiful drive to work today  2.  Laughing really hard with a co-worker  3.  Remembering that God can take care of my problems  4.  Oprah's Are You Happy show  5.  The song You Are More that I heard on the radio

No comments:

Post a Comment