Monday, January 17, 2011

The hardest job in America...

I've been wanting to do this blog for awhile and today seemed like a great day to write about it.  Everyone has a job in their life and there are probably hard parts to every job.  Some jobs pay very well, some pay the minimum, and some pay nothing at all - but we all have a job.  My opinion (and I know I'm not alone in this) is that the hardest job in America comes without a paycheck.  That job is being a mother.  I have a great mom and I'm sure I will blog about her throughout the year - but tonight I am writing about another mom that I know - my sister, Christy! 

Christy is now a mother to two of my favorite little people.  Martha Ann is almost 2 years old and Wylie is 1 month old.  I have been able to closely observe Christy in this new role for 2 years now and I can honestly say that I admire and respect her more now than ever.  Being a mother comes very natural to her and it definitely shows!  I'm always amazed at how she keeps everything organized, creative, and fun!  It can be daunting to think about how huge of a responsibility it is to be a parent - and to be a great parent.  I believe that Christy understands this responsibility and is definitely doing something that she was meant to do.  And of course her husband Lane is a great dad as well.  I don't want to leave him out and I love that they are doing this together - but this blog is more focused on being a mother :)

Is Christy the perfect mother?  No, but who is?!  (Don't hit me Christy haha!)  There's never been a mother who did every single thing right.  One observation that I've made is that no matter how many books you read, or how many other mothers you observe, it's really a job where you have to learn as you go.  One thing that seems to be "coming to light" on talk shows and various interviews is that parenting is hard, challenging, and some days just not fun at all.  I think that it's great that mothers are being honest about this, and I think that Christy would say that this is true as well.  But I also believe that she would say that even when days are hard - Martha Ann can sing or dance or hug or say a new word and make it so rewarding!  Wylie can give a little smile or look at her and it's like nothing else. 

I got to hang out with Christy, Martha Ann, and Wylie today and I really thought a lot about how great a job Christy is doing.  There are lots of great mothers out there and they really do not get enough credit so this is my small way of saying "way to go moms!"  One way I know that Christy is doing such a great job is to see Martha Ann and how loving, fun, and creative a person she is already.  Wylie has only been in the world for a month now, but it's evident that he loves his mommy so much.  So to all you moms out there - it really is the hardest job in America and I wish there could be a "paycheck" for all of you.  And to my sister, Christy - you are an incredible mother and you're doing a great job!!!

Today I am grateful for:  1.  The new Passion CD I've been listening to  2.  The Mexican food we had for lunch today  3.  Martha Ann's hugs and making me laugh  4.  Wylie's new little smiles  5.  Me and Christy's conversations and laughs today

2 comments:

  1. Kevin I love this post! I am so thankful to have my mom, Barbara, Hay, and Christy as great example of being a mother. There have been times were I have called Christy for help and she always has the perfect answer! I hope to be as wonderful of a mother as she is: loving, calm, patient, understanding, fun, and much more! Love you Christy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother, i cannot tell you how encouraging it was to read this today! I am so grateful for all the people in my life that pray for me, encourage me & support me in my daily adventures of being a mom :) thankyou for being one of those people! Love you!! And thankyou for the amazing uncle that you are to martha ann & wylie! :) ellen, you are already a loving, calm, patient, understanding & fun mom!! Thankyou for your encouraging words too! I love getting to share being a mom with you! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete