Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Why I do what I do...

I wanted to answer a question that was raised yesterday about why I am going extreme healthy eating for one month.  I meant to put this in yesterday's blog but forgot about it.  There are a couple of reasons really.  The first simply has to do with living my best life.  Setting goals and challenging myself really helps me to not settle for mediocrity in life.  I am always wanting to push myself more and to experience more in life.  I have tried giving up various eating habits for a shorter amount of time.  I actually was a vegetarian for one full year and really liked that lifestyle which lead to me doing Meatless Mondays.  So when the idea came up to really focus on healthy eating for one month I was ready to challenge myself to do that. 

The other reason is the idea of Lent.  I have never observed Lent before but I do like where the idea comes from.  Giving up something in life in the hope that something better will come is a great practice that we all should consider from time to time.  I know that technically Lent leads up to Easter but I think the idea of it can apply to any time.  I am giving up unhealthy foods for one month in the hope that a healthier, more productive life will come out of it.  And the goal is that once the month is over with some of these unhealthy foods will not find their way back into my life.  (Chocolate is the exception though - it will definitely make a comeback on June 1st!)  So basically, my reason for doing this meets a core need that I have to always want more out of life.  My intention is to challenge myself and to see the benefits from doing so.  Hopefully this gives a better explanation as to why I do what I do when it comes to these healthy food challenges I have in life. 

Yesterday was Meatless Monday and I cannot even explain how good the homemade veggie pizza was last night!  One thing I learned (or was reminded of) is when you are making homemade pizza dough - don't forget to flour your hands because I had most of it stuck to my fingers instead of on the baking sheet!  But this divine pizza had red and green chilies, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, plum tomatoes, cheese, and a mixture of herbs and omg it was delicious!  Seriously people - it was so good!!  And then temptation came.  I have a new roommate, Josh, that moved in yesterday and he brought home a box of really good chocolate and handed it to me.  Jordan is doing this healthy eating with me and when we saw the box of chocolate we could just hear it calling out to us and saying how amazing it would be to try it.  I opened the box and smelled it and I have to say - it was like heaven.  Basically I wanted to cry.  We politely told the other roommate how much we hate him for bringing us that and then stuck the box in the freezer so that we can enjoy it in June!  Hopefully it is still good then?!  And for the record - it was really nice that Josh brought that and it will definitely be enjoyed in a few weeks :)

I have been told many times before that some of the things I try or the challenges I put on myself are... well, basically they are weird.  But it does work for me.  I would encourage everyone to set goals - maybe something small - but I guarantee that you will feel that sense of accomplishment and want to do more.  In my opinion it does play a part in truly experiencing what life is all about.

Today I am grateful for:  1.  A busy but very productive last 3 days  2.  Getting an encouraging email from a friend that truly made my day  3.  The best veggie pizza  4.  Getting through the chocolate temptation  5.  Cara's interview going so well!

No comments:

Post a Comment