Thursday, May 12, 2011

Remembering the impact of one life...

It was seven years ago today that my dad passed away.  I can still remember every moment of that day and it seems like some of the smallest details are the ones that still mean so much.  For those that do not know, my dad died of brain cancer at the age of 53.  He was diagnosed in July of 2003 and passed away ten months later.  These were some of the worst moments of my life but also some of the most meaningful because my family was able to all be together those ten months and share in beautiful memories that we will hold forever.  I know now that time was truly a gift given to each of us and for that I am forever grateful. 

When I think about the people in my life that have had the greatest impact on me, my dad is definitely at the top of the list.  He was such an example of selflessness, living life with purpose, and knowing that true joy came in knowing his Creator.  His greatest moments in life were those spent with family and friends.  He helped countless people that were in need and did so without receiving credit or praise.  He also instilled in me and my sisters the importance of faith and how that is the very foundation of a fulfilled life. 

What I love about my dad is that he was an ordinary man who chose to live an extraordinary life.  When I say "ordinary" I am talking about the world's perspective.  He was not famous but that is what he preferred.  He lived his life as best as he knew how and in doing so - he made a difference in the lives of so many people.  I continue to hear today of how he changed lives simply by living his with purpose and it challenges me to do the same with mine. 

It is true that when someone dies, those who remain will continue with their lives.  There are many days that I think of Dad and smile and know that he would love seeing how our lives have turned out.  Today is a hard day though, because I also remember the pain of losing him.  There are so many moments that I wish he was here to see.  There are many times that I wish I could sit and talk with him.  When I do have situations come up and I wonder what Dad's advice would be - I seem to already know what he would say.  And in moments of being together with family, I can still feel a part of him with us.  This particular day does not seem to get any easier but I also know that the pain that we all feel on this day comes from a love for a man that meant so much to each of us. 

On May 12, 2004, Dad took his last breath here on earth and began living his new life in a place of perfection.  It was in that moment that he began to truly reap the rewards of a life well lived.  I am motivated to live my life more and more each day because of his example.  I know that he would not want any of the praise or attention and he would tell all of us to live our lives for the One who gave us eternal life.  As I continue to hear of what this man's life meant to so many people, I am honored and consider it such a privilege to have had the opportunity to call him Dad.

Today I am grateful for:  1.  How each day is a gift  2.  My family and how incredibly blessed I am to have each one in my life  3.  The 28 years I had with Dad  4.  The example of a life well lived            5.  Knowing that one day I will see him again

No comments:

Post a Comment