Thursday, May 5, 2011

Pursuing a Passion...

I believe that each of us have something in life that we are passionate about.  Something that we love to do, something we are good at, and is part of what makes us unique individuals.  For some, that passion becomes their career, for others it is a hobby, and yet some do not exercise this passion for various reasons.  Sometimes you know early on in life what this gift is and sometimes you learn through trial and error. 

For me, one of my passions is writing.  Growing up in my church, I was very involved in the music program and eventually started writing songs.  I found it such a creative way to express my faith and at times, to share with others how I felt.  There were many songs written that no one ever heard - probably because they weren't that good.  But it was still good to write - whether it was good or bad.  It was when I wrote The Journey that I really fell in love with the process of writing.  When my dad passed away, I delivered the eulogy and in those moments of painful writing, I knew that I wanted to write a book about his life.  It took a few years of writing off and on to complete it, but it was not only therapeutic for me - it helped me to share with others about one of the most important people in my life.  I really enjoyed the days that I would write.  It was great working with an editor, which really helped improve the quality of the book.  Although my original intent was to write it for my family, it has been very encouraging to hear from others and see how it made a difference in their lives. 

Doing this blog this year is another thing I really love doing.  Although I have not been able to blog every day like I intended, I really enjoy getting up in the mornings and writing down my thoughts.  For me, it is somewhat like therapy and accountability all in one.  I definitely plan to stay committed to blogging and hopefully turn it into something more as time goes on.  I also plan to start writing another book soon.  I have a few ideas, but I am waiting to see what I really want to devote my time and energy to working on.  I desire to get back into that discipline and working on a bigger writing project.  To be honest, my ultimate desire right now would be to turn writing into a career.  Oprah always says to know what you love doing and then find a way to get paid for it.  That is what I am working on now.  This type of work would definitely be very in line with what I want to be doing in life, especially career wise. 

I know that sometimes our jobs may not be exactly what we love doing but I hope that each of you have something you are passionate about and are able to exercise that either through a job or a hobby or in some way.  It definitely makes life better and keeps us in sync with why we are here.

And just to give everyone an update - it is day 5 of extreme healthy eating and there have really been some delicious meals made - but I am still craving chocolate like a mad person!  Wish me luck!

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Beautiful weather outside  2.  Remembering that all things work together for the good  3.  The best lasagna ever last night  4.  Being able to express my thoughts through this blog  5.  A love for writing and the desire to pursue it 

No comments:

Post a Comment