Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Perfect Ending to the Oprah Show...

So I sat down last night ready to watch the very last Oprah show.  I wondered how she would end 25 years of her talk show and how she would wrap up all that has been done in the 4,561 shows (of which I have seen almost every one - I was 10 years old when it started so I may have missed a few of the early shows).  I have to say that the last show could not have been more perfect and fitting.  It was simply her and the audience and she spoke of what the show has meant for her and the gratitude that she feels for all that have been a part of her journey.  I did good watching it and not getting emotional until the last 5 minutes of the show - and then yes, I went into "the ugly cry" and had to take a few moments for myself. 

I do want to explain that although some of my friends would disagree - I am not obsessed with Oprah, I do not idolize her, nor do I think that she is some superhuman that we should bow down to.  Yes, I am a big fan and have pretty much seen every show she has done but what I believe in is how she has used her life to truly make a difference in the world.  I do not know of any other human being in my lifetime that has used their life to its fullest potential more than Oprah.  It shows the depth of influence and impact that one person can make.  At the heart of who she is, there is love for people, a heart of gratitude, and a sincere desire to be of service in the world.  I have such respect for that.  That motivates me, it inspires me, it challenges me, it encourages me that what we can experience here on Earth is limitless when we are open to the possibility.  We all have people in our life that are inspirations and that without them, our lives would be different.  I can say that Oprah is one of those people for me.  I know that some of you feel very differently and that is OK.  We all are entitled to our opinion and it really makes no difference to me how you feel about her.  I am just saying what I have gotten from watching her show and since this is my blog, I am entitled to voice my opinion :)

I did want to point out just a few things that really struck me while watching the final show:

Everybody has a calling, and your real job in life is to figure out what that is and get about the business of doing it.  That is what a calling is.  It lights you up and lets you know that you are exactly where you're supposed to be doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing.  This resonates with me so much and I completely agree with it.  There have been times in my life that I knew that I was doing what I was called to do.  In those moments it all felt clear and right.  My prayer is that my life will line up even more with what my calling is and that I will not waste any more time pursuing anything else.  The great thing to me is that no one's calling is more important than the other.  We all have our role in the world and we need to pursue it with excellence. 

In every way, in every day, you are showing people exactly who you are. You're letting your life speak for you. And when you do that, you will receive in direct proportion to how you give in whatever platform you have.  What is my life telling other people about who I really am?  Whether it is a brief encounter with a stranger, or hours spent with a good friend of family member - how we conduct ourselves really tells the truth of who we are.  We never know how much of an impact we make on others and so we should live our lives in truth and with purpose.  And yes I agree that what you put out into the world will come back to you many times over. 

My great wish for all of you who have allowed me to honor my calling through this show is that you carry whatever you're supposed to be doing, carry that forward and don't waste any more time. Start embracing the life that is calling you and use your life to serve the world.  Don't waste any more time!  How often do we let a day go by without making some kind of difference in the world?  It might be a small gesture or something big but I truly believe that every night when we go to bed, we should know that in some way we brought more good into the world and that through our lives - God is glorified. 
Yes I am going to miss watching The Oprah Show everyday.  I know that she has her own network now, but it will not be the same.  How many times have I said, Did you watch Oprah today?  I am sure that some of my friends will be glad to know that an "Oprah show moment" will not make it into most conversations that we have now, but I am sure I will find some way to keep it going!  I have heard her say many times that God can dream a bigger dream for us than we could ever dream for ourselves.  There is definite truth in that and my hope is that I will fulfill my calling in life and know that I have made a real difference in the world.

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Starting my day off with a great focus time  2.  The possibility of a solution  3. Help from a good friend  4.  A day off to be productive  5.  What the Oprah show has meant to me

No comments:

Post a Comment