Monday, May 2, 2011

Giving it all up for 31 days...

I have given up cokes for one week and I have given up sweets for one week but I have never done this before!  I am giving up all unhealthy foods for the entire month of May.  That means no junk food, no cokes, no sweet tea, no fast food, nothing fried, no potato chips, and the worst one of all.... no chocolate for one month!  This was not my idea originally but I agreed to it knowing that it would be a challenge for me and I always love a good challenge.  I am a health-conscious eater anyway so most of it will not be too hard for me - but the no chips is going to be difficult (how do you eat Mexican food without chips and salsa?!) and I am already having chocolate withdrawals and it's only day two.  However, I am committed to this and I am pretty good about following through with something once I say I am going to do it.  And this blog serves as my accountability as well so I am sure everyone will hear how it is affecting me as the month goes along - the good, the bad, and the ugly (otherwise known as a "Kevin Mood") 

It was a really busy weekend around here!  Saturday morning my sister, Cara, ran the Nashville 1/2 Marathon.  Yes, it was the race that I was supposed to run with her but due to a few things (mainly it didn't fit into the budget)  I decided to wait and run a different 1/2 marathon later in the year.  There is one in Chicago in August and that is my favorite city so I might go for that one!  Anyway, Cara did really great!  She had her best time yet and all of her hard work and training really paid off!  There are about 30,000 people that run this marathon and it is such an experience and a great feeling of accomplishment to cross the finish line and I am really proud of her for following through and doing so well!!

Saturday night was spent hanging out with Martha Ann and Wylie.  I don't like using the word babysit because they are family and I will take any chance I get to hang out with them.  They are both growing up and have such fun personalities!  We went to the park here in my neighborhood and of course Martha Ann loved it!  I did have help which was good because it is a full time job just chasing Martha Ann around the playground.  And of course when it was time to go - it was another full time job carrying Martha Ann out while she cried and tried to get away from me to slide some more :)  There was also one moment of projectile vomit from Wylie which landed all over me!  It definitely took me by surprise but Wylie looked at me like it was normal so we just cleaned it up and kept playing.  But it was a really great night with my two favorite little people and it also gave Christy a chance to socialize with adults for a change and not have the "mommy role" for a few hours. 

It was a very busy weekend, but a great one.  Church yesterday was really good.  Our pastor is starting a series called, Anything But Ordinary, and it focuses on the Beatitudes and how the life we sometimes want to pursue may not actually be the life we are called to live.  I am looking forward to it and I already know that parts of it will make it to the blog!  I was also able to watch some Oprah Behind the Scenes last night so that always makes for a good day.  Her last show is May 25th and anyone that knows me knows that it's going to be a horrible day.  I will literally be a mess watching that last show so sympathy cards, flowers, or even cash will probably help me get through that difficult time :)

Well, it's only day two of this extreme healthy eating and all I can think about is a chocolate cupcake!  This might end up being one of my greatest challenges yet (OK, maybe a little dramatic) but it is not going to be easy - but that is part of the point of a challenge and getting rid of something unhealthy and replacing it with healthy options.  It is all part of that best life we all strive for! 

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Cara doing so great on the 1/2 Marathon!  2.  Hanging out with Martha Ann & Wylie and how much joy they bring to my life  3.  Church on Sunday - focusing on what's important  4.  Commitment to a challenge even when it's hard  5.  The veggie pizza we are making for Meatless Monday tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment