Monday, May 9, 2011

Celebrating Moms and a lesson in Meekness...

Yesterday was a great day having all my family over for lunch to celebrate Mother's Day!  I originally told everyone that we would eat around 1:30pm and that no one would have to help - I would have it all ready for them so that Mom and Christy would not have to do any work on Mom's Day.  At least my intentions were good.  We finally started eating at 3:00pm, everyone was starving, and it became a team effort between Mom, Christy, and myself to get it all done!  Oh well, so much for doing it all on my own.  It was definitely fun all being together and of course Martha Ann and Wylie were looking as cute as ever and making all of us smile (except when it got to be nap time and they were not as fun to be around).  I hope that Mom and Christy both felt loved and appreciated for all the hard work that they do day in and day out.  And of course like any other family day, there was lots of talking, laughter, and funny stories! 

Yesterday at church, the pastor continued his series on Anything But Ordinary.  He spoke on the verse, Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.  Meekness can be defined as strength under control.  The pastor said that those who do not possess the quality of meekness could be defensive when others point out faults, they could try and control certain situations, and might feel the need to win at arguments.  I am going to be honest and say that as he spoke, all I could think was - Wow, I am not a very meek person!  It was almost one of those moments where I felt like there was a spotlight on me and I really needed to learn something.  I will admit that some of my faults do come from not being very meek.  I have been known to be a little controlling at times and instead of listening when people point out a fault of mine, my instinct is to fire back and get very defensive.  Some of this is our human nature but those who are genuinely meek have that strength under control.  They are the ones who are so comfortable in their own skin and possess a certain level of confidence that they can take criticism well and are not afraid to let others win. 

Some might ask - why do you want to be meek?  For many, it goes against what the world says to pursue.  However, according to this verse, those who are meek are the ones that will actually inherit the earth.  I believe that this means that they will experience true and lasting happiness.  We all know people who seem to experience success no matter what they do - but a lot of that could be fleeting and those who are meek are the ones that lay their head down at night knowing who they are and feel very fulfilled in life.  The pastor ended by challenging each of us to have this prayer in life:  To have the power of patience and the wisdom of calm.  He said that most mothers already possess this quality and I would definitely agree.  So now it is becoming one of my desires in life.  I am not a patient person and I have been told that I do not always remain calm in certain situations (otherwise known as a Kevin freak out moment).  It will not happen overnight for me, but I will try over time to learn to be more meek and possess strength under control.

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Really great work days over the weekend.  2.  Having a great family day yesterday  3.  Mom and all that she does for all of her kids  4.  Christy and how she is an example of a great mother  4.  Being challenged in the area of meekness  5.  Staying strong in my healthy eating amidst temptation 

No comments:

Post a Comment