Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A scary moment, taking my own advice, and a shout-out to my sister Cara...

I have to start and tell a funny / scary story that happened to me yesterday.  I was working in a small town in East Tennessee (the name is not important just in case anyone is from there or the townspeople decide to come get me).  Because there were not any hotels in this town, I stayed about 30 minutes outside of it.  As I checked out of my hotel, the nice lady at the front desk asked where I was heading to today.  I said the name of the town, and she looked at me and just said, "Oh."  She then preceded to tell me that I should be careful in that town because there used to be a group of people that would go around stealing cars to sell for parts, and it used to also be a big moonshine town.  There was also a big bust by the feds when they found out they were holding cock fights.  The interesting part was that it was the local political people of the town actually holding the fights.  After that enlightening conversation, she thanked me for staying at the hotel and hoped I had a good day.  How could I not after that information?  Of course, I was curious to see what I would find when I got there. 

I rely on TomTom to get me everywhere.  I really have no sense of direction and so my GPS is the only way I can find anything.  As I followed the directions to the church I was supposed to be working at, I came to a - shall we say, somewhat scary - neighborhood.  TomTom wanted me to proceed down this one narrow street that went into the woods.  I looked over to the side and noticed a sign that said... and I quote:  Dead End!  Turn Around!  Your GPS is wrong!  Since I was in an area that looked like a scene from Deliverance, I turned around - but TomTom could not find any other way to get to my destination.  I decided to be brave (or stupid) and drive to the dead end and see if the church was on this street.  I drove on this narrow little road into the woods (said a prayer) and noticed a church up ahead.  However, this was not the church I needed to go to.  The name of the church was Hard Core Biker Church!  The motto was something about - for those not easily intimidated.  I then saw 3 guys - definitely hard core biker guys - sitting off to the side and staring me down.  As I recalled the stories that the nice hotel lady had told me, and the warning sign at the front of the street, I did what any normal person should do in that situation - I squealed my tires and sped off!  I finally found the right place I was looking for and enjoyed my experience in this small town.  And let it be said that I am very glad that the hardcore biker population has a place to go and worship - maybe I should go and visit sometime - I am sure I would fit in perfectly :)

I also wanted to say that having this blog is actually good therapy for me at times.  Things are a little rough with my job situation and I am currently coming up with a plan of action, but yesterday I was reminded of the previous blog dealing with laws of attraction.  At times I can go into a "Kevin freak out" mode and it is never good for myself or those around me at the time.  In dealing with my job and the future I had to remind myself that if I constantly worry about it, then the results will only be more worry and headache.  It does not mean that I should sit around in la-la land just thinking happy thoughts, but I will put that energy into action, keeping in mind that the end result will be what is best for me.  Being productive with our concerns definitely brings about positive results!  This may sound weird, but I enjoyed reading some of my own blogs and keeping myself in that right frame of mind.

Lastly, I want to give a shout out to my sister, Cara!  She is simply the best and I love how close we are as brother and sister and how we can talk about anything (there really are no boundaries in our conversations)!  She has a lot going on in her own life with work, school, and being a wife - but she does a great job at keeping everything balanced and is really excelling in all areas.  She and I both enjoy running, eating at Blue Coast Burrito, and staying caught up on our favorite TV shows.  So for no reason in particular I just wanted to say how thankful I am that she is my sister!  And this paragraph is completely unrelated to the fact that she called me yesterday saying that she did not see her name mentioned in many of my blogs :)

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Interesting experiences in new places  2.  Beautiful sunshine yesterday  3.  The chance to always meet new and unique individuals with my job  4.  Encouragement from my family  5.  My amazing sister Cara!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment