Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Extreme Week - Day 1

Well my first day of extreme week was definitely full because I fell asleep last night before I could post anything.  So this morning I will write about yesterday and then tonight write about today - make sense?

I did get most everything done yesterday that I wanted to accomplish.  My plan was to wake up early but I slept in a little while longer than expected.  I blame that on two things - the time change, even though we only lost an hour Saturday night it seems to take a day or two to recover from that.  Also, I washed my bed sheets, blankets, and comforter on Sunday night so my bed was extra comfy which made it harder to get out of yesterday morning.  And yes, I guess there is that third reason too - I just didn't get up!

I started my morning off with a 5-mile run.  It felt great and I focused on not letting my mind wander too much, but trying to stay present.  Instead of thinking about the worries in life or what I needed to get done, I just really enjoyed that run and actually made it home without almost passing out - so progress is being made!  I then had my focus time which was really good.  Since I finished The Purpose Driven Life, I am starting to read through the New Testament.  I read outside on my front porch which is always great and as I finished, I was reminded of how the Bible really is nourishment for the soul.  It always motivates and challenges me to live out my faith and to stay focused on what really matters. 

I spent most of the day cleaning house.  I got the first half done which included cleaning ceiling fans (they get really dusty which I still don't understand because it seems to me the dust would just fall off, but anyway), cleaning all the windows as well as doors and baseboards.  Basically I worked on the the things I have not done in awhile!  This took up most of the day.  I did cook a very healthy lunch that consisted of whole grain pasta with fresh vegetables on a bed of spinach and mixed greens.  It was delicious and oh so healthy!  For my fun part of yesterday (although to me, cleaning is fun) I went to the movies with a friend of mine.  We saw The Adjustment Bureau.  I really liked it and it dealt with the ideas of free will and how sometimes the smallest decisions we make can affect the direction of our lives.  So by the time I got home, ate dinner, and watched Harry's Law (another really good show), I was ready for bed. 

One other thing I wanted to talk about was what the last chapter of Purpose Driven Life dealt with.  It said to write out your life purpose statement.  This would be a summary of your life's purpose, the direction your life will take, what defines "success" for you, how you clarify your role, and how you express your shape (which is the unique aspects of your life that tell what you contribute to the world)  As you write out this purpose statement, these are the 5 questions to consider:  What will be the center of my life?  (You faith, beliefs, who or what really drives your life)  What will be the character of my life?  (Your morals, what really defines your life and behavior)  What will be the contribution of my life?  (How you will make a difference in the world, what parts of your life will live on even when you are gone)  What will be the communication of my life?  (Life lessons, passions and dreams)  What will be the community of my life?  (Who you surround yourself with, family, friends).  I do really like this idea of writing a life purpose statement because it helps keep us focused on what is important.  It also helps in making many of the decisions that come our way - if it aligns with our life's purpose then most of the time the answer is yes; if it does not, then most of the time the answer is no.

Day 1 of Extreme Week was a success!  There were a few things on my list that did not get done, but I have also decided to not have any regrets this week so anything I do not get done will just be added to another day.  Here's to a great rest of the week!!

Yesterday I was grateful for:  1.  A great night's sleep  2.  Enjoying my 5-mile run  3.  Getting my house clean  4.  Healthy eating / drinking choices that lead to really feeling great  5.  Thinking about my life's purpose statement

No comments:

Post a Comment