Friday, April 1, 2011

Master Class...

As many of you know, Oprah has her own network now called OWN.  I, of course, watch many of the shows on there, but there is one in particular that has been so inspiring and motivating every time I watch it.  The show is called Master Class and each week, there is a different person who tells the story of their life and how they became the person they are today.  These people could be considered masters or experts in their own field.  The people chosen for this series cover a wide variety of professions and backgrounds.   Diane Sawyer, Jay Z, Maya Angelou, Lorne Michaels, Condoleeza Rice, and Simon Cowell have been on so far.  I have found every single episode to be so fascinating and it truly makes me want to live my life better.  If you get this channel, I strongly encourage you to watch any of the episodes!

This week's Master Class featured Oprah and I have been looking forward to it.  Now I know that I am a big fan of Oprah (some have said an Oprah fanatic, but I disagree) - but what I really admire about her is how she has used her life to the fullest potential to truly make an impact on the world.  To know where she came from and where she is today is truly amazing.  As I listened to her story, it made me feel that I am nowhere near my potential in life.  Whether or not you like Oprah or agree with how she lives her life, she gave some very valuable tools that I think we can all incorporate into living our own lives to the fullest.

1.  Know yourself and remember that you are here for a reason:  We are all unique individuals with unique characterisitics, talents, and abilities.  We were all designed to be different and that is a great thing!  I know that we each have something to offer and before we can truly make the most of our journeys we have to know who we are and what reason we are here on earth.  It takes time to figure out and in my own life it has taken years to really have confidence in who I am and what my purpose is here on earth.  If you are unsure of your purpose, that is the first thing to figure out because without it, we are simply wandering around aimlessly. 

2.  You are worthy:  Once that purpose is realized, then we must stand strong in knowing that we are worthy to live out the life we dream about. This does not mean that we are not humble or that we should have over-inflated egos, but many people do not follow their hearts because they believe that they are not good enough. The truth is, God created us to live out this amazing journey.  Jeremiah 29:11 is one of my favorite verses:  For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  This should help us to live a fuller, deeper life knowing that because of God, we are made worthy to receive it.  Do not consider yourself as less than.  There is only one you and your life plays such an important part in the world - many times, we make much more of a difference than we realize. 

3.  When you do your best, people notice.  Think about the times that people really noticed the work you were doing.  If you settle for mediocrity or just getting by, then no one really notices that.  People stop and take notice when you truly do you best and do it with passion.  This is true in our jobs, our relationships, our goals, and life in general.  If you are the head of a company or making french fries at a fast-food restaurant - do your best and people will notice.  To me, the exciting part is that you never really know who is noticing.  It could very well be the person who will take you to that next step in life. 

4.  Prepare for opportunity:  Oprah said that she does not believe in luck and I agree.  I believe that there is a divine plan put in place for us before we were even born.  However I also think that we have to do our part to create the life that is meant for each of us.  So if we are preparing ourselves for that dream job or preparing ourselves to be in a fulfilling relationship, or making prepartions to see a dream become a reality - then there will be a moment of opportunity that comes our way - and when it does we are not only ready to take it but we must not hesitate and seize that moment.  Life happens in the now and many times you get one chance to make a difference or one chance to take a risk - when we are prepared, we are much more confident to go after it and see what doors are opened for us. 

5.  We are more than we appear to be:  So many times, we are quick to notice people's differences.  We easily judge others who are not like us.  This is because we look on the outward appearance instead of really seeing what is inside a person.  You and I are more than simply the way we look, the color of our skin, our strengths and imperfections.  The essence of who we are is much more than what people see when they look at us.  Our best selves come out when we are living our lives in sync with what we were created to do and to be. 


When I finished watching that episode, I literally had to sit for a moment and reflect on my own life.  I mentioned before that I am never content with where I am in life - I always want to do better, to open my heart wider, to serve others more, to live out my life's purpose more deeply.  One of our greatest motivations is in seeing how other people live their lives and allow that to encourage, challenge, and push us to do more.  There are many people who do that for me and I hope that on some level, I am able to do that for others.

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Focus time this morning and remembering what God has done in my life  2.  Getting a clearer focus of how I can do more with my life  3.  Trying out a new restaurant (Urban Flatts) and loving the food  4. Seeing the best in others and allowing that to motivate me to do better  5.  Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment