Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Essence of Who We Are.....

We are all unique individuals and there are so many different components that make up who we are.  I love seeing how different people are, how they live, learning about different cultures, and how people view life.  Too many times we are quick to judge others who are different than us but in actuality, it is these differences that make the world a beautiful place.  I consider myself an open-minded person and have grown so much in my views, perspectives, and beliefs over the years and I know that this has played a major role in developing myself into the person I am today.  Although I am not perfect at it, I try to see life from other people's perspective and understand what experiences and views brought them to the place they are today.  Like I said, I do not always do this and some of my friends can attest to that, but I have learned that by taking the time to learn more about others - it opens my mind and heart to experience a fuller and deeper life. 

I do believe that in all of us, there is a soul and it goes beyond our skin and how our bodies are made.  It is that intangible part of us that defines the very core of our existence.  It is the part of us that at times can be unknown to others but it shapes our decisions, it decides our passions and dreams, and at the end of the day it really does define what is most important to us.  If we had to make a list of the five most important aspects of our life, it would come from the desires of our soul.  Think about those moments in life when you are the happiest and you feel very fulfilled.  It reminds you of why you are here and it helps us to stay focused on what really matters in life.... it is the essence of who we are.

This past Sunday I was reminded of that while at church.  Music has always been a big part of my life and in church, it is a way for me to express my worship to God.  As we all sang, I knew that it was not just words being sung, but a connection of the soul.  It is truly what life is all about.  Family is also a big part of my life.  There is such a strong connection in my family and I experience such joy when I am around them.  And as our family continues to grow, it just gets better and better.  When I am able to use my life to encourage someone else, when I can be a part of something bigger than myself and help another person live a better life - I know that I am fulfilling a purpose in my life that connects at the very center of who I am.  Having the opportunity to do this blog and write is also an avenue in my life that I take seriously and have such a love for and hopefully using it to make a difference.

My question to you would be - what defines the essence of who you are?  Think about those moments in life that really connect to your soul and focus on that.  It really is what life is all about and is what makes life so great!

Today I am grateful for:  1.  A deep time of worship on Sunday  2.  One of the best burgers I've had in a long time for Sunday lunch  3.  Getting more work done on the courtyard  4.  Listening to life's whispers  5.  Remembering what makes up who I really am 

No comments:

Post a Comment