Friday, April 8, 2011

Shovels, rakes, and choice words....

Yesterday was a day off for me and it ended up being a very productive day - which is always a good thing.  I was able to get some errands done that morning and then it was time to make some progress on a project I started last summer.  I live in a town home and I have a small courtyard in the back.  Whoever lived here before me simply filled it with gravel and there were a lot of weeds growing in it.  So last summer I started the task of clearing out all the gravel.  It was not the most fun job but I knew it had to be done.  My plans were to have it completed in a week and looking like a picture right out of the magazine!  Well, after a few days I got most of the gravel removed but then it turned into one of those projects that never got completed.  And as time goes on, you get used to just walking past it and saying... one of these days I need to finish this!

I am happy to say that six months later progress was made yesterday - well, some progress at least.  I recruited Jordan to help me knowing that with two of us we would get more done.  There are many times in my life that I wish I had my own reality show and let's just say that yesterday was one of them.  It would have been quite the comedy hour.  We were digging up rocks and dirt, pulling weeds, digging up roots, and filling up a trash can that now is so heavy it would take five guys to lift it!  After about ten minutes it was time for a water break.  This was a lot of work people!  As time went on, there was a lot of sweating, resting, choice words, and water breaks but we eventually got the next phase done.  If you were to look at right now, it looks horrible and somewhat worse than when we started but I can still see the finished result (in the distant future) and I know that it will look great and straight out of a magazine! 

Trying to make the most of the moment, I did see working on the courtyard as somewhat of a metaphor.  A lot of times to accomplish the goals we set for ourselves we have to really work hard.  To accomplish a big goal, you have to set smaller goals along the way.  It may not always be fun and we might say some choice words every now and then, but even when it seems like we are getting nowhere just keep the end result in mind and believe that it will happen.  Seeing it become a reality will make all the work that went into it very worth it. 

Today I am grateful for:  1.  A beautiful day yesterday  2.  Getting some work done on the courtyard (thanks Jordan for the help btw)  3.  The best video I got of Martha Ann dancing (seriously, she was breaking it down!)  4.  Trying a new restaurant last night (Mexican, which is always good)  5.  An overall really great day off

No comments:

Post a Comment