Monday, September 12, 2011

The Gift of Today....

Yesterday was a day for all of us to remember the importance of life and making the most of our time here on earth.  It was hard to believe that it was ten years ago that we all experienced such a tragedy here in America.  I remember exactly where I was and how that day unfolded.  Saturday night, I watched a show on the Biography Channel called I Survived.  This was a special episode that told the stories of many workers and emergency personnel that survived that horrific day.  I was amazed at their stories and it really is a miracle that they all made it home that day to tell their loved ones they were OK.  Those who were still in the buildings when they collapsed and those trapped in burning rooms of the Pentagon and yet they made it out.  Some would say it was fate or chance that put them in the right place at the right time to survive.  I struggle with saying that God chose these people to survive when so many did not - but one thing is true - they were so grateful to still be alive.   

Pastor Pete on Sunday mentioned 9/11 and said that one of the greatest lessons that he learned from that day was that no one can choose how they will die; but we can all choose how we will live.  I have often thought of those who worked in the World Trade Center and how that day started off like any other day.  They had no idea that it would soon become their last day.  Those fireman and police officers showed up for work that day but had no idea what they soon would be asked to do.  Every person from the show I Survived spoke of their thoughts of loved ones and how they held on to a hope that they would see them again that day.  For those who did survive, I am certain that it has changed how they live their days.  My hope would be that for those of us who were not directly affected by the events of 9/11 - we would still learn the lesson from that day.  It is not about living in fear that today could be our last - but rather making the most of the moment.  Do not settle for mediocrity, but rather strive for excellence.  Do not wish you had done things differently - make that change today. 

I found myself tearing up as I thought about those involved that day.  There are so many heart-breaking stories of those who lost family  members.  And yet there are still stories of hope and survival that just encourage and motivate me to make the most of this fragile life that we are all given.  I hope that the same is true for you and that we will all do what almost 3,000 people were not able to do - continue living out our journey.  Each morning I say a prayer and it begins the same way each time - Thank you God for today and for the gift of today.

Also - a reminder that this Saturday is our Pay It Forward Day!  I am really excited and hope that you will decide today what you are going to do for a stranger that day that will make a positive difference in their life! 

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Running a 5k race over the weekend  2.  Great church service on Sunday  3.  Seeing friends that I have not seen in awhile  4.  Inspired by those who survived 9/11  5.  A reminder to truly  make the most of each day   

No comments:

Post a Comment