Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Color of Humanity....

I hope everyone enjoyed the long holiday weekend!  For those of you in the Nashville area, you know how crazy it was that on Saturday we experienced 100 degree weather and by Monday it was 65 degrees!  Quite a welcome change though - I love the cooler weather and hope that it stays around!

I saw a movie yesterday that is definitely one of my favorite movies of the year - The Help. If you have seen it, I am sure that you agree with me and if you have not seen it - go see it this weekend!  If you do not know, it is a movie about how African American maids in the 1960's interacted with the white families that they worked for.  It is so well-written, and the actresses are amazing!  I laughed a lot, gasped at how realistic some of the scenes were, was embarrassed to be a part of the white race, and by the end I was crying - yes, it is one of those movies that covers all emotions - and I was not the only one crying at the end!  I will not talk too much about the movie for those who have not seen it, but rather discuss what I was reminded of having seen it.   

Racism and prejudicial attitudes have always been a pet peeve of mine, to put it lightly.  It really gets under my skin to see these behaviors still prevalent in certain people groups and it is baffling to me how some people justified their way of thinking back in the day.  As I watched the movie, I was grateful that major improvements are being made and so many have come to realize that differences in the color of skin is simply that - just a difference in the color of our skin.  Each generation seems to become more open-minded about this area and my prayer is that the next generation being brought up today will be so open to various races and cultures that they will not even comprehend how the previous generations thought they way they did. 

We were created in different cultures, with various skin colors, and with a variety of characteristics that make us each unique and beautiful.  I have said it before but instead of being quick to judge others because of their differences, we should embrace it and celebrate it!  Thank God we are not all the same because it would be a very boring world to live in.   This does not only apply to racial differences, but after seeing the movie it has been on my mind a lot.  I know that part of that perspective comes from how you are raised, but I still think it's only an excuse because we all have the power to change negative behaviors that are taught to us as a child.  It all comes down to what is on the inside that really matters.  Yes, there are cultural differences and I am not saying that we will ever be completely color blind - but I am so thankful that those walls are continually being broken down and I pray that we will all be a part of the answer and not the problem. 

Go see The Help if you have not seen it - get ready to laugh really hard when they talk about the pie! 

Today I am grateful for:  1.  A great 3-day weekend  2.  Much needed rain today  3.  The cooler weather  4.  A great movie that is very thought-provoking  5.  Those who lead the way to break down the walls of racial divide

4 comments:

  1. If you thought the movie was good... Read the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RAR - this book is definitely on my list to read soon!

      Delete
  2. I just read this blog post today and it reminded me of a book I got for Christmas. It was a present from the company I work for and as far as I know, every employee got a copy.
    Its the life story of George Washington Carver who was born as a villein and became a popular American folk hero to people of all races. It is one of the best books I've read so far and I did cry a few times. The book really made me appreciate life and that the little things in life aren't always little. If you don't know it you should read, its a great book.

    “George Washington Carver: The Man Who Overcame” by Lawrence Elliott

    Cheers,
    Conny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conny - thanks for the suggestion! It sounds like a great book and I have been looking for some good reads for the coming months. I will definitely get a copy - thanks!

      Delete