Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Brief Glimpse Inside this Head of Mine....

I woke up early this past Saturday ready to run a 5k in my neighborhood.  I really enjoy running these races - yes for the competition and exercise - but more importantly, all the free stuff you get!  I arrived at the start and saw there were a lot of vendors set up so I knew that would mean I would be going home with lots of goodies.  I normally run with my iPod except when I am doing a race.  My thoughts always seem to work overtime when I run without music.  Some people talk how they are able to completely zone out when they run and let their mind relax.  As you will see, that is not me!  Here is a small view of what it is like to be me when I run a race!

I better get towards the beginning of the line so that I can do well on this race.  The winner of this race will receive a free teeth whitening service valued at over $600!  Oh wow, I am definitely getting to the front and I am going to win this race!  I would love a free whitening service!  On your mark, get set, GO!!  Woo hoo - so excited!  (I feel the wind as a few people zoom past me).  OK, so there are at least 20 people already way ahead of me so forget the teeth whitening, let's just try to finish strong.  This is the path I normally follow when I run through my neighborhood so this should be no problem.  (A couple of minutes pass by).  Who are these 2 figures that I keep seeing out of the corner of my eye?  Oh, they are 10 year olds... wait, why am I running the same pace as a 10-year old?  Pass them Kevin!  Why are they speeding up every time I try to pass them?  Move it kids!  (Another minute passes by).  I can already tell that I have not run in awhile - why do I feel tired already?  You can do it!  Good job!  Aww thanks for the encouragement!  Go Daddy, Go!  Oh, they aren't talking to me - that's OK, I could still use the encouragement. 

So what all is planned for today?  Grocery shopping, going to the dog park, birthday party tonight - should be a really good day.  I love my neighborhood!  Why is there a water station so early in the race?  I'm not stopping for that.  HAHA - I just passed those little kids - take that suckers!  You are halfway there - keep going everyone!  Half way there!  You can do it Kevin, You can do it!  Why am I out of breath already?  How in the world could I ever do a half-marathon if I can't even run a 5k.  Get it together Kevin - good thoughts, positive thoughts!  What would Oprah say right now?  (A minute goes by and I pick up my pace some).  I am getting close to my house again... surely there will be someone to cheer me on.  Why didn't I get water earlier?  Great job everyone!  Keep up the great work!  OK, we are getting closer to the finish line - what does that person have?  Thank God, it's a water station!  Here's water - you are really close to the finish now!  Thanks for the... choke, cough, choke, I'm dying.... wow, drank that too fast!  There's a crowd of people cheering their family and friends on - wait, I do not see anyone I know - even Axel is still home asleep.  Oh well. 

I see the finish line!  Finish strong Kevin!  Pick up the pace!  My legs hurt - keep going!!!!  I finished!!  Great job guys!  Way to go!  Feel free to get water, bagels, beer - whatever you want.  Beer, really?  I will just double up on the bagels.  Thanks God for letting me finish the race and finish strong!

It really was a good race and I was satisfied with the time I completed the race.  I then went and got all the free goodies that they had to offer - I did not miss a single thing!  As I walked home - alone, since I'm sure everyone just forgot to come cheer me on - I thought about how random my thoughts are and they seemed to be in a race of their own!  But I did get my free Tshirt for participating and that is really what matters anyway. 

I hope everyone is having a great week and looking forward to our PAY IT FORWARD DAY this Saturday!  Do not let that day go by without doing something nice for someone you don't know!  I can't wait to hear what everyone does! 

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Finally getting back to the gym after a 2 week break  2.  Another beautiful day  3.  Getting really good feedback about my progress at work  4.  A picture sent to my phone of my favorite people - Martha Ann & Wylie  5.  Learning more about other people's lives and what they are thankful for

No comments:

Post a Comment