Wednesday, September 28, 2011

30 Days to Make a Change....

I realized today that in 30 days I will be yet another year older.  They say that time goes by faster as you get older and I would have to agree with that.  I will be 36 this year - I am always happy when people still guess that I am in my 20's.  I am not sure if that is by looks alone (I have to credit that to good genes) or by my behavior as well which might mean I need to grow up a little - we will just go with looks!  Age has always been just a number to me.  It really does not bother me to get older - I love being in my 30's.  You really learn who you are and discover more of your purpose for being here.  So to all of you who whine and complain about your age - there's nothing that can be done about it so why not celebrate and make the most of it! 

I always like to enter my birthday feeling very good about who I am (the interior), how I am doing in life (my purpose), and how healthy / in shape I am feeling (exterior).  I have done this over the last couple of years and it just helps to keep me focused on the right things as well as gives me a goal to work towards - and I always love a good goal!  So for the next 30 days I am committing myself to truly stay connected with what is important to me and set goals to enter year 36 the best that it can be. 

As far as the interior of who I am - my goal is to have a focus time each morning to prepare myself for the day.  For me, that includes reading the Scriptures, prayer, and meditation.  It is true that God does not love us any less if we miss a day but the outcome of having one motivates me to stay disciplined with this every day during the week.  I also want to engage in activities that will help challenge me, build my character, and inspire me to bigger things!  That may come in reading books, television programs, and connecting with those types of people that motivate me.   

As far as my purpose - my goal is to focus on writing, both in this blog and on my new book (which I will admit that I have neglected).  I also want to find a way each day to make a positive difference - it might be something small or big - but just being conscious of that will help keep me on the right track.  I also want to make more of an effort to connect with those people that are most important to me - family and friends. 

For the exterior - I am committing to working out 4 days a week, running 4 mornings a week, and being very conscious about what I eat.  I am not going to go crazy like I have done in the past and completely give up all food items with the slightest hint of "junk" in them, but I will just make smarter choices to keep all body systems in check.  (Anyone who read my facebook status yesterday - I think I might have to give up my daily 3 Musketeers for a month - so sad!)  I also have two 5k's that I will be running in October and am trying to decide if I want to train for a half-marathon in November.   

I understand that this may not have anything to do with you specifically, but it really helps me to stick with my plans when I put it out there on the blog.  As days go by, I will probably make note of my progress.  This works as an accountability tool for me but I also hope that it encourages you to take a few days or weeks to make goals for yourself.  It is all about becoming who we are truly meant to be and for myself - this is one effective way to do it. 


Today I am grateful for:  1.  Waking up and being reminded of the beauty of a new day  2.  Having some time this morning to watch one of my favorite shows (Parenthood)  3.  Learning and interacting with others at work today  4.  Reading other encouraging blogs today  5.  Coming up with my "30 days to make a change" plan

No comments:

Post a Comment