Thursday, June 30, 2011

Two Key Words - Standing and Truth....

Let me start by clarifying an issue that came up after posting yesterday's gratefulness challenge.  It was not long after blogging that I received a few texts from friends wondering why they did not make the list (knowing my friends, I am not surprised).  One of my friends said he wondered why the dog made the list, but he did not - which I thought was a very keen observation!  I had a feeling that might happen and I just need to say that yesterday's list is by no means all-inclusive and there are many, many other people that I am thankful for in my life - yesterday's list just included the most important ones - just kidding!!!

A couple of my blogs this year have dealt with the topic of standing in your truth.  As I thought about those words, I realized the importance of the two words - standing and truth.  In order to really be our authentic selves, we must live in the truth of our situation.  So many people live with a disguise because they want to be perceived as being more successful, having more money, or even looking better than what their reality is.  We are such an image-obsessed society that we will go to great lengths to hide the truth from others.  To be authentic means to be truthful about our own lives not only to others but also to ourselves.  I really struggled with whether or not to share about losing my job.  I can say that the reason was because I did not want people to feel sorry for me, and that is partly true, but the real reason is because it is a hit to my pride and not succeeding at something is not what I like to share with people.  However, since I have been honest with others I have not been as stressed about it and have had more leads on possible jobs because others are helping me out.  When you give up the facade, it allows you to live a more open and free life.  What are you hiding from others?  What are you afraid to face and be able to live our your true self?  I am not saying that everyone needs to know everything about our lives but living in the truth helps pave the way for authenticity - and that is what we are striving for! 

The other part of the equation is to stand.  After we admit the reality of our situation, it is not helpful to wallow in our self-pity.  Being honest means that we confidently stand and own up to the negative aspects of our lives.  Yes, when life is not exactly where we want it to be, we all need a minute to vent our frustrations.  There are a few people in my life that have heard me vent - and it is not always a pretty sight!  But for me, I only give myself a minute to do so - then I face reality and start putting a plan into action.  Again, my job situation is not a bed of roses right now but I have chosen to stand, stay optimistic, and believe in the answer that is coming.  Standing means that we believe that change is coming.  Not only is it coming, but it is already here.  We do not always need to know how, we just need to believe that it will happen.  Every morning this week, when I have my focus time - I have thanked God that He is already working out the solution to my requests.  Yes, I have to put action to that and do my part, but it is counter-productive to sit around whining about things and wondering why something happened. 

For anyone who has a particular problem in their life and wants something to change (and I believe that is every one of us) I encourage you to STAND in your TRUTH.  Many times life is full of tests.  When things come at us, and we have done all we can do - continue to stand.  Ephesians 6:13 is a great reminder of this.  I would say that my life is great right now and I have so much to be thankful for - but yes, there are some things I would like to change.  I am confident that these changes are coming and believe that wholeheartedly.  This has been proven time and time again in my life and I look forward to seeing how it will answer itself in my life now!

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Motivational focus time this morning  2.  Great run today  3.  Good conversation with a friend  4.  Picture of Wylie sitting up for the first time!  5.  Free chocolate of the month from Godiva (leaving now to go get it!) 

1 comment:

  1. I think fear is more crippling than almost anything. When I'm not walking in Truth, fear is lurking around all corners. I believe that freedom is the reward for walking in Truth. I really enjoyed this. We haven't met but you know my husband Evan Brannon. He really enjoys your blogs as well. Enjoy that chocolate!

    ReplyDelete