Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Keeping the right perspective...

This morning I threw myself a pity party.  It doesn't happen often because I don't really like whiners; therefore, I try not to whine myself.  However, this morning I went there.  Nothing too dramatic, just a little discontent with where my life is.  Part of it has to do with wanting to do so much in the world and really make a difference - part of it has to do with not having enough money right now and really desiring to be financially free - and the other part would simply be losing perspective and focusing on the negative instead of the positive.  So a little while into this "party of one" I stopped myself and thought - whoa!  This is not me!  Pity gets me nowhere so I decided to go for a run and get rid of this negative energy.

Running is always good for me.  It clears my head.  So I started focusing on all the good things in my life.  The good definitely outweighs the bad and it instantly puts me in a better frame of mind.  However, there are some areas in my life that I want to change and move forward in, so instead of complaining I started putting my energy into how to change things and do better in life.  As I have said before, one of my goals is to get the book I wrote, The Journey, published.  I know this is going to take a lot of work and I have been contacting a few publishers but I need to try even more.  I did hear from a friend of mine who gave me a name to contact that might be able to give me some great advice so I'm looking forward to hearing back on that.  Another idea I have involves YouTube and starting to put some videos on there that would allow me to be even more creative as well as fulfilling a dream to have my own show!  I am going to start working on those and seeing how they turn out.  I do like the sound of - The Kevin Buchanan show!!

As I kept thinking about these things and coming up with ideas and what I can do next, my entire attitude changed.  Instead of a pity party, I was motivated and excited about pursuing goals and believing that it would become a reality.  I am a firm believer in visualizing your dreams and I can see the end result.  All of this also ties into my focus times the past few mornings.  In The Purpose Driven Life I am reading about our unique gifts and abilities and what we are truly passionate about and using that to fulfill the calling in each of our lives.  I know that I am most happy when I am helping others to make the most of their lives.  My goals in life center around that - it is one of the main motivations for having my book published. 

I'm not sure that I have conveyed everything that I thought about today, but the main point is that what started out as a pity party quickly turned into motivation and more positive energy - and that is a much better place to be!  Because of the type of dreams I have for my life, I think it lends itself to being discontent because I always want to do more.  But when I focus on what I do have in life and the good things in my life - I have much to be thankful for and I can continue to be motivated to do more, accomplish more, and life the better life that I know God has for me.  Jeremiah 29:11 is a great reminder of that.

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Another beautiful day outside  2.  Remembering the good things in life  3.  Going from pity to gratefulness  4.  Encouragement from friends  5.  Refining the vision

No comments:

Post a Comment