Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Just checking in...

So I only have a few minutes before midnight, so I wanted to check in since I didn't blog last night.  I'm in North Carolina for work this week and really like it here!  It was a great drive up here and really pretty once I got to the Carolinas (that's how we locals refer to it). 

I attended a work meeting yesterday and it was very motivating.  I'm in sales so we have goals that we have to meet and the past few weeks haven't gone as well for me.  However the meeting gave us some great ideas and the final speaker was all about motivation and positive thinking so you know I was all about that topic!  Well, the meeting definitely paid off for me because today was a great work day!  I met my goal and then some!  By nature, I'm really not a salesman so I'm learning as I go - and this type of work is really not high pressure sales so I enjoy that.  Working in churches always makes for great stories and working with all kinds of people.  I need to start writing down some of my experiences during the day so I'll remember to blog about them - people are so funny! 

I did have a unique experience today while working.  I met a little baby boy who was born with a very serious heart condition.  As his mother told me the story, it was definitely a miracle that he was alive.  All parents love their children, but seeing this family together was so encouraging because you could tell how grateful they were to have this incredible baby in their lives.  On the opposite end - I met an older couple, the wife was in a wheelchair, and as the husband began talking, it became evident that his wife was terminally ill and may not live much longer.  For those who don't know, my job is selling pictures with Olan Mills.  I realized that this would probably be the last professional pictures that this couple would have.  It was a humbling moment and even saw my job in a different way.  To see one person beginning life and another coming to the end of their life just motivates me to continue making the most of my time here on earth. 

Well, I'm laying here in a Holiday Inn Express and I have to say - it's really nice!  The rooms are modern and this bed is very very comfortable - I might just sleep in a little while tomorrow!  I am going to sign off here and get to sleep but will hopefully write more during the week.  Oh, and I'm also making a video of my trip so maybe it will turn out good enough to post on facebook this weekend!

Today I am grateful for:  1.  The scenery on the drive up here  2.  Great work meeting and feeling encouraged  3.  Seeing the results of learning today at work  4.  Two very special people I met today  5.  This really comfortable bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment