Monday, August 8, 2011

What Really Matters....

There are a few things that I want to cover today, so let’s get right to it.  First off – I have done some research on what makes an effective blog.  I love writing and this blog really does allow me to exercise a passion that I have, but I also want to make sure that it makes a positive and effective impact on you, the reader.  I have found many factors, but one is to set a commitment with your reader and stick to it.  Those of you that have been readers since the beginning know that I have not been as consistent with how many blogs I post each week.  Remember at the beginning of the year when I set out to blog every single day?!  What was I thinking?!  My desire is to be consistent, but also realistic in my goal.  Therefore, this is my commitment to you – I will post four blogs a week, Monday through Thursday, and take the weekends off.  It is achievable for me and hopefully gives you an idea of what to expect each week.  I really appreciate each one of you that reads this and my desire is to encourage you, challenge you, cause you to think about your own life, and laugh every now and then too. 

It’s Monday so you know I can’t let the day go by without mentioning Sunday’s message at church.  It was on Presents versus Presence and it posed the question of what we desire most.  The pastor asked if we desired God’s presence more than His presents.  If all of the things were taken away from us, would the presence of God be enough for us?  It is something to think about because many of our prayers consist of asking God for stuff rather than asking Him to simply teach us and mold us into who He wants us to be.  This concept also applies to our relationships with people.  The pastor read a letter that a young woman had written about her father and read at his funeral.  In it, she thanked her father for the time he spent with her, the laughs that they shared, the lessons that she learned from him, and the memories that she will always remember.  Not once did she mention any birthday gifts, cars, college education that he paid for, or any material possessions.  What mattered in the end was the time that he invested with her, not the presents that she received.  As the pastor read the letter, I couldn’t help but think about my own father and how what I remember most about his life is the time he spent with us and the lessons I learned from watching him.  There is nothing wrong with things, and I am not trying to start a ban on birthday and Christmas presents ( I am sure there would be an uproar), but we need to always keep in mind what is going to matter in the end.  Whether it’s family, friends, coworkers, acquaintances, or strangers that we meet in passing – what are they going to remember most about their time with us?  This is not to get us to focus on the “after we are gone” part; but rather what we are doing now.  Think about those people in your life now and what you remember most about them.  Is it their presents or their presence? 

I am also continuing to work on the Pay It Forward Day!  It will be a day set aside where everyone will focus on doing one act of kindness towards someone and instead of getting anything in return; you ask them to do something nice for someone else.  I am still working on the day, but for now I would encourage you to go to the Pay It Forward facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Pay-It-Forward/187761993898.  Click “like” if you have not already.  Also, there is a place to share the page with your friends – it would be great if you also recommended the page to others so that we can get as many people involved as possible!  The great thing about it is that it can be done in your own hometown and these acts of kindness will be happening in various places all on the same day!   So when you finish reading this blog, make sure and “like” the page on facebook and it will serve as the main source for information in the days ahead.    

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Hanging out with some great friends Saturday and enjoying the delicious dinner that she made!  2.  Church Sunday – always energizing and motivating  3.  Taking Axel to the dog park and watching him try to act like he owns the place  4.  Meatless Monday today!  5.  Those people in my life whom I will definitely remember more for their presence

No comments:

Post a Comment