Monday, August 15, 2011

Family Matters....

Yesterday was a great family day!  With my new job and the "busyness" of life, I do not get to see my family as much as I would like.  I have been looking forward to yesterday for a few weeks now because one of my uncles emailed me saying he wanted to come visit and hang out with me and my sisters and our families.  He is one of my dad's brothers and due to distance, we do not get to see his side of the family as much.  It is always good to be with any of them because not only are we all very close, but they remind me of my dad in many ways.  So lunch was planned at my house and I was prepared to serve a delicious meal!  I seem to learn something every time I try and prepare a big meal for a group of people and yesterday was no exception.  If you are making lasagna with chicken sausage, let me advise you not to substitute the chicken sausage with smoked sausage.  Just spend the extra dollars!  Although everyone told me that it was good, it tasted more like hot dogs in there instead of sausage.   Oh well, all the extra cheese and Alfredo sauce helped disguise the substitute and we made it through the meal! 

Family is such an important part of my life and anytime we are together, you know it is going to be a really good day.  It was great to see my uncle and get caught up on what is going on in all of our lives.  Seeing my sisters is always fun and you can count on lots of laughter while we are together.  And of course, seeing Martha Ann and Wylie (my niece and nephew) completely makes my day!  I have to say that Martha Ann is now calling me by name "K-K" and I heard her say it for the first time yesterday - at first she would not do it (I think it was on purpose) but then she ended up saying it many times throughout the day.  There were a couple of times yesterday that I just sat and thought about how blessed I am to have such an incredible family!  We are by no means perfect and I am actually going to talk some about that tomorrow - but we love getting together and hanging out.  I know that many of you know exactly what I am talking about and many of you did not grow up with a close-knit family.  I never take it for granted and will always consider it one of the aspects of my life that I am most grateful for. 

I think the word "family" can take on various meanings.  There is our biological family but many of us have close friends that we would consider our family.  Those people that we work with might be considered a family of sorts as well.  We spend more time with them than we do our own families!  As the definition of a family broadens, it is really important for us to realize that everyone needs someone that they can call family.  Whoever you consider your family - I encourage you to never take that for granted.  Make the most of those moments and make sure that they know how much they mean to you.  Yes, they might drive you crazy at times (I could tell some stories) but that is normal.  Who we surround ourselves with greatly influences our life and I hope to be as much of a "good thing" in my family's lives as they are in mine.

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Amazing music at church yesterday  2.  Spending the day with family  3.  Hearing Martha Ann say my name  4.  Seeing how much Wylie is growing up  5.  Really beautiful weather today

No comments:

Post a Comment