Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Just Be Yourself....

How many times have you met someone, gained a first impression, and then as time goes on you discover that they are not at all who you thought they were?  This could be good or bad.  Sometimes you meet someone who comes across very quiet and shy but the more you get to know them you learn that they have a very outgoing side to them and love to talk.  You might also meet someone and think that they are stuck up and come across very arrogant, but the more you are around that person you realize that is not true at all.  Others might be considered a very good friend and then their true colors start shining through and you are very surprised with certain behaviors and it changes the way you see them.  I know that many of us may act a certain way around our family and friends, and then a different way around coworkers or acquaintances - but I am mainly referring to the idea of not being authentic in life - changing your colors depending on the situation and what we think people will like most. 

The topic of authenticity intrigues me because I believe that in one way or another, we all struggle with this at some point in our life.  Why do we do this?  Many times it comes out of a fear that those around us will not accept us unless we blend in or behave a certain way to gain the approval of others.  The problem with "faking it" is that when our true selves surface, and they always do, then it skews our credibility.  The people that I admire the most in life are those who are authentic and have a consistency in who they are, no matter the situation.  I do not want to go too deep into this because sometimes people are just shy or struggle with self-confidence and they might just keep to themselves.  The opposite is true as well.  Sometimes as time goes on, we are surprised in a good way with a person's true persona.  I do believe that as we become more comfortable in our skin, we are able to really live out our true purpose - over the span of our lives as well as on a day to day basis. 

I speak from experience because I have been guilty in the past of hiding parts of myself or trying too hard to blend in simply out of the need for acceptance.  However, as I have evolved as a human being, I have learned that being true to myself is a really good thing.  I had this conversation with my family on Sunday and we talked about how trying to come across as perfect is a very unhealthy thing to do.  No one can live up to that standard so why can't we just be ourselves and not waste time putting up a disguise.  Although I desire to live life with excellence, I gave up trying to be perfect a long time ago.  The ironic part is that our true identity is beautiful and makes us the unique individual that we are.  Our contribution to the world comes from our ability to be our authentic self and connect with others to make a difference. 

So my encouragement to you is this - stop trying to be someone you are not and just be yourself!  Understand that you were created a certain way for a reason!  Do not try to hide behind a mask, but rather embrace who you are - and I guarantee that it will make for a happier, fulfilled life. 

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Friends who really are a "help" in my life  2.  Getting more comfortable in my new job  3.  Making a small difference in a customer's day  4.  Beautiful weather outside  5.  Learning more about my authentic self 

No comments:

Post a Comment