Monday, August 1, 2011

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff....

Hopefully everyone had a great weekend and a good start to the week!  I will apologize up front if this blog is not as cohesive as some.  I just finished a fitness class at the gym called “The Killer Workout” and it definitely lived up to its name!  My thoughts are not as clear at the moment and I look like someone who is at the point of death but I am determined to write so I will do so while I recuperate. 

I want to know if anyone relates to a certain character flaw that I struggle with.  It is not the easiest thing to admit our weaknesses (or opportunities as they call it at work) but recently I have noticed how this one little thing seems to creep to the surface and try to ruin my day.  It is the ability to make a big deal out of something small - taking a situation and over analyzing it - making a mountain out of a mole hill.  There are many ways to phrase it but I think we all know what I am talking about.  I will say that I have made improvements in this area, but sometimes it shows back up and makes me want to slap myself (and no, I do not need anyone to slap me, but thanks)! 

Over the weekend, a couple of small things happened that for whatever reason really irritated me.  There was nothing wrong in and of itself, but in my head I let it grow into this “real housewives” drama (Unfortunately I have seen a few episodes and they are masters at this).  Instead of just letting it go and seeing it for what it really is, I thought too much about it and over analyzed it to the point that it just wasted time in my day.  I know I should be more specific about the situation to help better clarify the example – but I want you to fill in the blanks with your own experience because I am sure we all have them.  So when one thing puts us into that bad frame of mind, little things throughout the day start to seem worse than what they are and before we know it we want to literally chew someone’s head off!  That was me and honestly, I cannot even remember what the small things were which proves that it is petty, petty, petty.  Well, the boiling point for me (don’t laugh) was when I was watching TV and Axel (the dog) was misbehaving and ran up to me and bit me on the leg!  He has never really bit me like that but you would have thought that he chewed up my most prized possession or something by the way I reacted.  I started yelling and picked him up and threw him in the cage for the rest of the night.  Then I walked out the door and just walked around outside for a couple of minutes to cool down.  I mean seriously, talk about over-reacting?!  It did not even make a mark on my leg.  Poor Axel had to take the beat-down because of my frustrations throughout the day.  And before PITA reads this, I did not hurt him, just scolded him enough so that he knows that biting is not allowed.  Isn’t that how it happens though?  We let little things frustrate us and let it build up so much that when some innocent person (or animal) walks by and says something just a little off, we turn into this possessed person!

This morning I thought about how I let little things get to me and if I would just see things for what they really are or focus more on the big picture, then it would make for a much less stressful time – and Axel would have more play time as well.  I just need to stop and take a breath sometimes.  Before anyone over analyzes this blog, I am not some crazy person that you have to walk on eggshells around – I just have my moments of letting my mind run crazy.  After the fact, it is humorous to think about, but I hope that in the future I will just let things be and understand that life is too short to get caught up in the pettiness of the day. 

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Church yesterday and hearing about our responsibility with money (more to come I am sure)  2.  The nachos at Blue Coast Burrito  3.  Another great day at the new job  4.  Surviving the Killer Workout class  5.  Learning from life’s situations 

No comments:

Post a Comment