Tuesday, August 9, 2011

It's Different When It's Real....

I need to start off with something I forgot to include in yesterday's blog.  I talked about the Pay It Forward page on facebook and then neglected to put the link into the post.  I do apologize and hope that you will go to it today and click on "like" and then share it with other friends!  The link is:  http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pay-It-Forward/187761993898.  I did not realize it until I went back and read my own blog - maybe I should do that more often!   

I started a new job about three weeks ago and today it became real!  My position is in the financial services call center, which is something I have never done before.  We have been in training since day one and today our trainer threw us a curve ball when she said that we would take a few "live" calls!  We have been learning the systems, taking practice calls with each other, and I have to admit that I was feeling pretty good about myself until she said "live" call.  All of the sudden I felt like I had forgotten everything I had learned and had that nervous feeling in my stomach.  I wasn't even sure how to work the phones anymore!  The entire class went into a panic mode.  Although we had been practicing and learning for weeks, it was all different now that we had to actually talk to someone.  We paired up with a colleague and my partner could tell that I was nervous but she also served as a good encourager and help if I needed her.  I took more than enough time to look at the customer's account and try to feel confident and prepared before I made the call.  Finally, I pushed send on the phone and it rang... and rang.. and rang.  Voicemail saved the day!   I was somewhat relieved, but knew that I had to go to the next customer on the list.  Finally after calling three or four customers and getting their voicemail, I was frustrated and actually wanted to talk to an actual person.  Someone finally picked up on the last call and it was somewhat successful.  I say somewhat because my trainer did have a few suggestions for me, but overall it went good and definitely helped to calm my nerves.  I was one of the first ones to actually speak to someone so the class applauded for me - which was quickly quieted by the trainer.  I am sure that each day it will get easier and before we long we will wonder why we every questioned ourselves, but it was really funny how the tone of my outgoing, carefree class changed the minute we heard - "let's take some live calls!"

I was going to try and make this story a metaphor for life, but according to one of my readers - some of my blogs are too "Oprah-ish" (you know who you are!) so I will just let everyone take what they want from this one! 

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Cooler weather today  2.  Learning more about some of my colleagues and their lives  3.  Getting a haircut (it really needed it, so yes we are all thankful for that one!)  4.  Making a new neighborhood friend in an unexpected way  5.  Surviving the live calls :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment