Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Great Quote to Live By....

"A picture is worth a thousand words."  "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."  "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."  "I see dead people."  These are all quotes that we have heard many times.  I googled "famous quotes" and there are thousands of them!  Every once in awhile you hear one and it sticks with you.  I have many that I love, but there is one that I wanted to mention today and make a promise that if you will apply this to your life, it will bring about such freedom and discernment.  It is by Maya Angelou and it says....

                     The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them. 

I first heard this a few years ago and it has stuck with me ever since.  We have all heard that actions speak louder than words and that is basically what Maya Angelou meant when she said this.  People can say one thing, but the truth of who they are comes though in their actions.  For example, if someone said that they love to exercise, but all they do is sit on the couch and eat potato chips - those actions are speaking much louder than what their words say.  If someone else said that they are always on time for things, but constantly arrive fifteen minutes late - well, they do not really value punctuality.  Someone's actions are what we end up believing, not their words. 

The most important part of this quote is the first three words - the first time.  I know that the argument can be made that people have the ability to change, and I agree with that.  However, many times we rely on a false hope that someone's behavior is going to change.  If we had just believed them the first time, we could have saved ourselves a lot of time and stress.  If someone shows you that they are not trustworthy, believe them the first time.  If someone shows you that they are an abuser, believe them the first time.  If someone shows you that they will betray a friendship, believe them the first time.  This idea also ties in with another quote - Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  If someone behaves in a negative way, do not be surprised when that bad behavior is repeated. 

The oppostite applies as well.  If someone shows that they are honorable, believe them the first time.  If someone shows that they are kind, believe them the first time.  If someone shows that they are a true friend, believe them the first time.  This produces such a positive experience because we know that we can count on a consistent behavior.  Yes, we all have our moments (I know I do!) but for the most part our actions are consistent with our inner beliefs. 

I am sure that we can all think of a time in our life when this quote applied.  I would encourage you to keep this in the back of your mind as you interact with those in your life.  Thanks Maya Angelou for a very impactful quote!!

Today I am grateful for:  1.  An encouraging email I received this morning  2.  Some very interesting conversations with customers at work today  3.  My new iPhone - it's a life changer!  4.  Getting to eat Moe's tonight (the Billy Barou is calling my name!)  5.  Being reminded of the meaning of this great quote. 

1 comment:

  1. Another great post! You're on a roll this week!

    And, I must admit I read most of it with a Maya Angelou voice in my head.... ;)

    Brent

    ReplyDelete