Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Create Balance....

Balance is an essential element to a fulfilled life, but is very hard to find.  How many days start off with the right intention but by the time it ends, we are just thankful to have survived the day?  I can always tell when I lay down at night if there was balance in my day or if it was "one of those days."  It is safe to say that there will not be a year in our life where all 365 days were completely balanced, but we can do our best to try. 

What does it take to have a balanced life?  Each of us have different things to factor in.  Our beliefs, our families, our friends, careers, hobbies, and personalities.  Finding balance can sometimes feel impossible but I believe the best way to do it is one step at a time.  Some questions to consider are:  Am I truly happy with my life?  Do I feel overwhelmed a majority of the time?  Am I able to rest peacefully at night?  Do I feel like I am lacking anything in my life?  Do I know what my purpose is in life?  The answers to these questions will give us a good start to what areas need improvement in order to feel balanced. 

I know for me, it is the little things that help keep me in balance.  I usually have my morning prayer time in the shower now - I like to multitask - and it is always a really good way to start my day off right and get me in the right frame of mind.  I also have been doing something different on my lunch break at work.  Normally I am talking with coworkers the whole hour, but now I take the last fifteen minutes or so and go outside to this nice park area and sit on one of the benches.  Sure I may look like a loner, but it helps my own sanity to have a few minutes to myself each day.  Spending time with family and friends helps to keep balance in my life as well and I know when it has been awhile since I have been around them.  It is also found in the way I eat, how much I exercise, and if I am staying in line with what I feel to be my life's calling. 

For me, a balanced life includes a strong connection to God.  Knowing that my life is being used by someone much greater than myself helps me to know that I am fulfilling my purpose.  That connection comes from a variety of ways - focus times, church, serving others - and each one helps to keep me centered and focused.  I do believe that God is the Creator of life so who better to guide me in the best way to live it!

What areas of your life do you need more balance?  I know that we are all so busy and many of you have many more responsibilities in life than I do - but I believe that small changes to our schedule or newly formed habits can help us to enjoy life more and get the most out of it.  Do not let excuses get in the way - create balance.

Today I am grateful for:  1.  A good friend who has really helped me on a daily basis this past month  2.  Building upon new friendships at work  3.  Being reminded of the brevity of life and to make the most of every day  4.  Hearing that Martha Ann made a big step in potty training today(her mother is grateful too!)  5.  A great phone call from a really great friend

No comments:

Post a Comment