Monday, July 18, 2011

The Whispers of Life....

Right now I am sitting at Panera Bread with my laptop, a Dr. Pepper, and the determination to be here for the next few hours.  I have a few days left before I start my new job and my goal for this week is to get a lot of work accomplished on the new book I am writing.  The working title for the book is Standing On the Edge and it is going to focus on making the most of our lives and overcoming obstacles that keep us from doing so.  I love doing this blog and many of the topics discussed on here will be expounded on in the book.  The topic is really a passion of mine as well as something I am constantly learning about myself.  I am excited about the book because I get to write about my own learning experiences and hopefully encourage others in their life's journey. 

It seems like most of my Monday blogs talk about what I learned at church the previous day and this one will be no exception!  We had Jon Acuff as our guest speaker and the message was motivating, so encouraging, and one of those "I feel like you are talking directly to me" moments.  He was also really funny which I love.  He started off talking about how V-neck tshirts have made their way into male fashion and how some guys are afraid to wear them.  I have one on right now and own quite a few actually but his perspective on it was really funny and as usual I kept laughing after everyone else had stopped!  He does have a website and I encourage you to check it out sometime:  www.jonacuff.com

The title of his message was Today vs Tomorrow and he described how many of us are in jobs that are not really what we want to be doing.  We tell people what we do for a living today, but in the same sentence we will also tell them what we really want to be doing as a career tomorrow.  He said that he went through eight jobs in eight years before he started doing what he felt called to do - speaking and writing.  He has a blog, has written several books, and speaks at many conferences throughout the nation.  He encouraged all of us to be patient as we seek out our dreams jobs and to also be open to the various places that life takes us.  You never know when a small decision or experience could drastically change the course of your life.  I could not help but be drawn in to every word that he was saying and many times wanted to stand up and shout that I completely understand and agree with what he is saying!  What if I had actually done that?!  I have not done his message justice here, but feel free to check it out on our church's website:  www.crosspoint.tv

To be honest, what he is doing is pretty much what I would like to be doing as a career.  To be an author, have a blog, and the platform to encourage others to follow their dreams, to pursue their passions, and to live the best life that they possibly can.  I feel like I do that on a small scale right now, but I really want that to be my career.  I believe that yesterday's church service was another one of those whispers that life gives you to keep pursuing your dreams.    I know for sure that God uses many ways to speak to us - sometimes in whispers and sometimes like a brick over our head - and for me, yesterday was one of those moments.  It was just that peaceful feeling to keep moving in the direction I am going and the plans God has for me will be beyond what I could ever ask or imagine.  One of the things that stuck out to me was to be patient.  Althought not always one of my strongest characteristics, it is vital to staying in sync with where life wants to take us. 

I am going to stop for now and start working on the book, but I encourage anyone who reads this to follow your heart in what your life is meant to be.  We are all here for a unique reason and we all have something to offer the world.  When you hear those whispers of life that reaffirm your calling - listen and believe because it will never let you down!

Today I am grateful for:  1.  The whispers of life  2.  A great Sunday all around  3.  Getting a run in this morning  4.  The chance to write at Panera today  5.  Being optimistic about the future

No comments:

Post a Comment