Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Blessing of Discontentment...

How many of you would say that you are truly content?  Would you say that you have reached your full potential in every area of your life?  Of course we should be happy, feel a sense of satisfaction with what we have accomplished, and be grateful for every good thing but I also believe that there should always be a part of us that wants more out of life.  We should always be pushing ourselves to do more, experience more, and give back more to the world.  Discontentment can lead to negative results if we allow it but it can also bring about change and a more fulfilled life. 

I can look back at the thirty-five years I have been on this earth so far and feel such a sense of gratitude and humbleness at the amount of good things in my life.  The people in my life, places I have been, experiences I have had, and lessons I have learned all make up what I consider to be a pretty good life.  However, there is that feeling of discontentment that I have always had because I always desire so much more out of life.  There is more that I want to do and see and experience.  I want my life to be used in much bigger ways than it is now.  One lesson that I have had to learn again and again is this:  In the midst of wanting more out of life, do not forget to savor the present.  Enjoy it completely.  It is easy for me to dream about what the future holds and not see what all is actually happening right now. 

The question then becomes - how do you effectively handle that desire of wanting more?  I believe that discontentment is a healthy part of life.  It only becomes unhealthy when we dwell too much on what we do not have.  Any negative thoughts will only bring about negative actions (the laws of attraction).  However, when we push ourselves to do more and continually place new goals into our lives, this will allow us to grow and experience a more fulfilled life.  I am a big believer in writing things down.  As new ideas and dreams form in my life, I write them down.  Not only does it serve as a constant reminder and motivator; it is also so encouraging to look back and see what all has happened in my life.  It is also why I have a vision board - it's a great visual aid to help produce results!  It's funny because the more I allow my life to be used, the more discontented I become.  I say that in a positive way though, because it motivates me to do more and I hope that it would do the same for you. 

So what areas do you want to improve on?  What goals do you need to work on?  How can you open your heart more in order to be of service to those in the world?  Use that feeling of discontentment to bring about action that helps us all live a better life!  And don't forget to truly enjoy the moment as you long to do more in the future.

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Waking up to a new day  2.  Being reminded of God's goodness  3.  Surviving another hot run  4.  Not having to spend my day looking for jobs  5.  Ice cream sundaes that will be had tonight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment