Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Different is a Good Thing....

Today is another day of writing for me.  I stayed at Panera for almost 5 hours yesterday and they did not kick me out, which is surprising since I only purchased a drink.  Today I am at a different restaurant called, Fido.  It has a really cool feel to it and the section I am in is where everyone with a computer hangs out - so I feel like one of the "cool kids."  The plan is to stay here as long as possible and get some more work done on the book.  I really enjoyed the time I had yesterday and love it when the ideas and words just flow out and you get excited about what you are writing about.  Every once in awhile, I would type a sentence and think - wow that was good!  And of course, at times I would also go back and read an entire paragraph and think - wow that was really bad - and quickly hit delete!  It is a fun process and as we talked about yesterday, always better when you are doing something you love. 

One of my favorite things to do is people watch.  I am sitting in a great spot to do this and there is a wide variety of people here.  There are also lots of people passing by outside as they shop at the trendy stores, drink their coffee with a cool name, or just enjoy this miserably hot day.   One thing I have been reminded of is how different people really are.  In that, I also know that too many people are quick to judge simply because someone is not like them.  Over the years, I have evolved in my way of thinking and my view of life and one thing I pride myself on is being very open-minded when it comes to the differences in people.  I enjoy learning about where people come from, what their story is, and how they see the world around them. 

Why are we so quick to judge?  I believe it comes from two things:  fear and ignorance.  A lot of times we fear what we do not know.  It makes us uncomfortable.  It is easier to overlook someone or pass them by than to befriend them.  We also judge because we simply lack the knowledge about a particular group of people.  We tend to stereotype someone because of what we have heard instead of taking the time to get to know them.  If we will stop and open our minds up to learning more about someone or what their story is, we might realize that we are all much more the same than we are different.  Sometimes we have to look past the exterior or even our own perceptions to see what is inside a person and that is what connects all of us.  Besides, whether it is acknowledged or not, we all have the same Creator so who are we to judge others simply for being different?

Take some time to open your heart up to learning instead of judging.  Find excitement in the fact that the world is made up of various cultures, beliefs, races, and ideas.  There is a lot of beauty in the world and the reason for that is variety.  The truth is - if everyone was the same, it would be a very boring place to live in.  Learn from others and celebrate their differences.  Don't we want the same from those who look at us?  We all want validation and purpose and breaking down the walls of judgment is an important step to seeing that happen.

Today I am grateful for:  1.  A really fun morning  2.  Another day to write  3.  Variety in life  4.  Air conditioning in this crazy hot weather  5.  The much needed rain we had yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment