Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Crazy Ideas Lead to a Random Act of Kindness....

The carefree, sleep a little later, long walks with Axel days are over.  I started my new job yesterday and I have to reconfigure my schedule, and body for that matter, to adjust to an 8-5 work life again.  How am I supposed to get up with the sun’s arrival, work all day, exercise, blog, eat, and still get my TV shows in?  Not to mention chores around the house, errands to run, and poor Axel – he’s not going to feed himself?!  I think I need an assistant or a housekeeper.  If you watch Flipping Out on Bravo, I really want my own Zoila – she is the best!  Of course I am being somewhat sarcastic because I know many of you do all that and more day in and day out.  I just got a little used to not working and yet still somehow staying busy.  However, my bank account has been screaming out for attention so I better be thankful for this new job, right!  And I am not the only one living at my house so maybe Jordan will do his part as well… maybe. 

I do have to say that I love my job so far!  Yes, it is only day two and we have not even really started doing our actual jobs, but I really like the atmosphere, the positive attitude that everyone seems to have here, and the opportunities that await. 
I must tell a story about an experience that happened to me yesterday.  It was a crazy idea that I had that turned into a random act of kindness from a stranger that reminded me of the goodness of humanity.  I am without a car for the moment; therefore, until that changes Jordan has to pick me up from work every day.  I get off work at 5pm and he cannot get there until 8pm so I plan on making the most of that and using the company gym, blogging, and working on my book during that time.  Yesterday was my first day at work and I did not bring my computer or anything to do so I started walking to a nearby restaurant.  When I arrived I knew that I could not stay there for almost three hours so I continued walking to Starbucks.  As I walked along the sidewalk, I had a strong desire to not stop.  I did not want to just sit somewhere for a couple of hours and I was carrying a bag with my work clothes in it so I knew I could not go into various stores and such.  So genius me had a thought I wonder what would happen if I just started walking home?  How far would I get before Jordan would pick me up?  Keep in mind that my house is probably ten to twelve miles from where I work – and about five of those miles are along the interstate!  Yes, I can hear all of you saying – what in the world were you thinking?!  I am not really sure but all I know is that I really wanted to do it and so I started walking. 

I made it to the interstate, walked along the overpass, and made my way down the ramp.  And by that I mean walked down the hill part of the exit ramp, not the actual street.  Oh, and I forgot to say that I was wearing flip flops and carrying my duffel bag.  So here I am, walking along the interstate, sweating for sure, but having a good time!  It did not really seem that awkward to me but the only thing I was concerned about was one of my coworkers seeing me and thinking that I was some hobo that started working with them.  I did wonder if anyone would pull over, but that was not happening.  At one point, a really big flying bug landed on my shoulder and I jumped and screamed (like a man of course) so I am sure that provided some entertainment for those flying by me at seventy miles per hour.  Just another reason why I wish I had my own reality show!  I kept walking and noticed lots of trash along the interstate.  People really throw out some interesting things - toys, food, a shoe, and other things I will not mention.  My biggest pet peeve in life is littering so I really wanted a trash bag to pick up the trash - if I am going to walk along the interstate I could at least be productive!

After about two miles on the interstate and lots of sweating (what was I thinking?!), I noticed a taxi that pulled over in front of me.  My initial thought was that he was a serial killer that had just found his next victim.  My second, and more rational thought, was that he saw an opportunity to make some money and give me a ride.  With no cash on me, I was not sure how I would respond except to ask if he took a debit card.  I walked up to the van and he rolled the window down and asked where I was going.  I told him and he said that it was way too hot to be walking and that he would take me wherever I needed to go, free of charge!  At first I felt a little awkward because I thought that maybe he thought I was a little more "deserving of a ride" so I explained that I had chosen to walk – which as I was saying it noticed that it actually sounded worse.  He told me to get in and he would take me to my house.  He was probably in his 50's, of Indian decent, and just had a friendly demeanor about him.  As he drove, we started talking and I learned a lot about his life, where he was from, and how he got to Nashville.    I also learned that he enjoyed talking a lot, but that was OK with me.  I was enjoying the cold air blowing on my face.  I was completely overwhelmed that he was doing this and did not expect anything in return.  I thought that he might be my guardian angel because who knows what might have happened to me before my ride arrived - probably passed out in all that trash from dehydration - which would have been a nightmare!  As we got to my neighborhood, I wanted to give him something but he simply told me to do something nice for someone else someday.  I almost gave him a hug but I thought it might be a bit much.  I thanked him over and over and promised him that I would definitely pay it forward!
For the rest of the day, I could not stop thinking about what he had done.  It was so refreshing and humbling to experience another human being's generosity.  It was unexpected and made such a difference in my day.  Unfortunately, I do not know his name but I am certain that lots of kindness will come back to him because of what he did.  He saw an opportunity to make a difference and did not hesitate.  How many times do we consider doing something nice for someone else but end up not following through simply because we are too busy?  I know that the experience will change the way I look at how life places opportunities in my path.  I will be more conscious of what is going on around me and not hesitate to help someone in need.  You never know how it will affect someone else and what kind of chain reaction it might start. 
I also know that my walk down the interstate was one of those "been there done that" moments.  It is not something I recommend, but I can add it to my list of life's stories.
Today I am grateful for:  1.  My new job  2.  The impact of a positive work environment  3.  My new work friends  4.  Deciding to try and walk home  5.  The taxi driver that changed my day


No comments:

Post a Comment