Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My So-Called Life...

I hope everyone enjoyed the long holiday weekend!  I wanted to simply write about a few things that have gone on the past few days that definitely keep life exciting.  I apologize for not posting anything yesterday after saying that I would.  It was quite a day and there was not a free moment that I could focus on writing a blog - probably a good thing because it might have been me venting, which is not always a great read.  I spent most of the day outside sweating (not by choice though) and a frustrated and hot Kevin is just not a pretty sight.  However, the kindness of strangers and a couple of good songs on the radio quickly turned my mood around and I was once again happy, fun Kevin.  It is humorous to me how quickly my moods can change.  I have always said that I want my own reality show and yesterday would have been one of those days that was funny to watch! 

This past Sunday at church started a new series called Summer Slam.  Each week a different campus pastor is going to share a few verses that he struggles with and how he is working through that.  I like this idea because it shows vulnerability as well as reminding us that we are all learning as we go and no one has perfected this thing we call life.  The other part that is unique is that the intro to each message is a video of all the pastors in wrestling attire and an Eminem song is playing in the background - only at Cross Point would you find that!  This first lesson was on surrender.  I have talked about this before, but it is a constant struggle in my life.  I do like being in control and I have trouble at times releasing that.  The parts of life that are somewhat out of my control are what frustrate me at the moment.  The ironic part is that when we do give up control and surrender to the bigger plan in our life - it really opens us up to experiencing a much more fulfilled and purpose driven life - which is what I am after!  Sunday's message was another reminder to me to stop trying to control people and situations and follow after what I know to be true and good. 

Monday was a good - and really hot - day to celebrate the 4th of July.  Downtown Nashville always has a big event and a few of us decided to join in with all the crazies and party it up!  I am not kidding when I say crazies.  I am a big fan of uniqueness and creativity in the human race and let's just say that downtown on the fourth of July was no exception!  There were all kinds walking around who made very interesting clothing choices, and they were not about to be tardy for the party (yes, I said it).  We made our way through the streets of sweaty people, gagging from random various odors, heard all kinds of music from country to rap to even a Pentecostal family singing hymns, and even saw a Michael Jackson impersonator.  Yes, all of our senses were working overtime.  But all of this was worth it to see the big fireworks extravaganza at the end!  I have always enjoyed a good fireworks show, but I have to admit that I was really impressed with how the city of Nashville did it.  At one point I noticed that my eyes as well as my mouth were wide open like a little kid.  It was quite a display of colors, shapes, and fire that lit up the night sky - all underscored with an impressive, but barely audible symphony orchestra.    There were a lot of oohs and ahhs from the crowd as well as a few gasps and screams when it got really loud.  Only once was our upward gaze interrupted by police officers yelling to get out of the way - medical emergency coming through.  So all in all it was a fun night to celebrate our nation's independence and also get some great people watching time in. 

I am thinking about covering some topics in the next couple of weeks that could start some discussions from the readers.  I would love to hear from others and get their opinions on various talking points.  I usually do not have a problem giving my opinion on a topic and then being open to hearing other people's ideas as well.  It could be fun - and quite interesting - and I promise not to be controlling of the situation! 

Today I am grateful for:  1.  A full and fun weekend  2.  Being challenged at church  3.  Job interviews coming up  4.  Running in the rain last night  5.  "4"  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment