Thursday, July 14, 2011

What Are You Passionate About?

Inside each of us is a unique passion that helps to define our purpose in life.  Although we may share the same passion as someone else, it is unique in that it fits our personality in such a way that allows us to contribute to the world as only we can.  Although I do believe that many people know what their passion is early on in life, for some it comes through experience or even trial and error.  Our true calling goes hand in hand with our talents or what we are good at.  Therefore, we are probably not going to be passionate about something that we are not capable of doing - or at least capable of learning how to do.  For example, I was not given athletic talent in my life.  If you read my book, The Journey, you know that the highlight of my baseball career as a kid was the one time I actually hit the ball - and it turned out to be a foul ball!  When that is the highlight of your athletic career, it is pretty safe to say that sports is not your thing; therefore, my passion in life does not lie in the sports arena.  I did try though - baseball, basketball, golf, and soccer - yeah, I was not too good at any of them. 

What does define our passion in life?  Some of us have more than one thing we are good at, but if we had to narrow it down to one or two main things, we could.  Ideally, our passions spill over into our careers but in the reality of life that does not always happen.  There is nothing wrong with that, but I have heard many times that we should find what we are good at, and then find a way to get paid for it.  One way to know that it is a true passion is that we would probably do it even if we did not get paid for it.  I would say that my sisters are very good examples of matching their passions with their careers.  Cara is studying to be a physical therapy assistant and this is perfect for her.  She has a true heart to help people and to let them know that she cares about them in the process.  Patients that she has worked for in the past have quickly grown to love her because she sees them as more than just a patient.  They are a person with a physical need and she is there to help and make a difference in their life.  Christy has her degree in teaching.  Right now she is a stay-at-home mom (the hardest job in the world) but I know that when she is able to teach in the school system, she is going to be one of those amazing teachers.  She has a heart for children, the patience to do it, and the desire to make a difference very early on in their lives.  Both Christy and Cara are talented in their fields and will excel in their careers because they are passionate about what they are doing and following their true calling. 

So what are you passionate about?  As you read this, some things may have come to your mind.  If not, that is OK, too.  It might take time to truly know what that is, but one thing I know for sure is that if you ask life to show you your passion, your talents, your calling - it will.  What am I passionate about?  There is definitely more than one thing, but it all falls under the umbrella of encouraging others to live better lives and make the most of their journey.  Over the past few years, I have learned that writing is one creative way for me to live out my passion.  I have been able to explore this through different avenues and am working on ways to line up my career with my passion. 

I am going to ask everyone who reads this to do something.  I have never asked anyone to comment on the blog, but I would love to hear what you are passionate about.  Not only will it help keep you focused, but it will also let all of us see the variety of things people love doing.  If you do not know, you can say that as well.  When you do understand what that is, it helps us to live a more fulfilled life and to also leave our mark on this world!

Today I am grateful for:  1.  A really good and fun day  2.  Stuffed French toast that I had for breakfast  3.  Hearing from my best friend this morning (whom I haven't talked to in way too long)   4.  The passion I have for writing  5.  Those who inspire me to live out my calling in life

1 comment:

  1. Kevin, I am passionate about my kids. They are my world, and really all that I have. It is just the boys and I most of the time and they make everyday worth it. I am passionate about my education and finishing my degree so that one day I can teach the youth of today. I want to be someone that can be there to make a difference, that person that I never had with the exception of a few people.
    Christopher Leach

    ReplyDelete