Wednesday, February 29, 2012

How Did You Spend Your "Extra Day"?



It happens once every four years and today was the day - we all had 24 extra hours for the year 2012!  I wish I had prepared more for this day and really made the most of it.  It is an "extra day" and I think that it should be celebrated by doing something out of the ordinary, being extra productive, or just having a party!  (Leap year drinks anyone?)  I say in 2016, we make the most of February 29th, take the day off from work, and do something great - who's with me!

Warning:  History Lesson Today!

I have to admit that I have never educated myself on the reason there is a leap year and how it came about.  Today I read an article in USA Today that explained how this originated in 46 B.C. when the Roman ruler Caesar added a leap day to the calendar every four years.  This wasn't done just for fun.  Astronomers came to the conclusion that the Earth does not circle the sun in exactly 365 days.  By adding this extra day every four years it kept the season more in line.  (Hang on, I'm almost done - don't run away!)  This worked until the 1500s when the seasons began getting out of sync again so in 1582, Pope Gregory XIII created the newest calendar that we still use today and began leap year again in 1584.  Without leap year, over time the seasons would not line up correctly with the year and everything would get very confusing!  So a big "thank-you" to Caesar and Pope Gregory XIII for keeping our lives from getting too crazy!

Yes, you are very welcome for that very informative history lesson today.

About 5 million people worldwide share this special day as their birthday.  I know one of those - my sister, Christy!  She, along with 5 million other people, actually has a REAL birthday today.  I remember when she was younger, we would tease her and say that if it was not a leap year we did not have to get her a birthday present because she did not really have a birthday (we laughed about it- she cried).  Today, I am wishing my sister an extra special Happy Birthday!  She turns "8" today - you can do the math.  Christy is one of those special people that makes the world a better place for all of those who know her.  She is very talented, intelligent, organized, a peacemaker, enjoys life, and although she knows what her purpose is in the world - she does not realize how much of a positive impact she makes on so many people!  She is a supportive and encouraging wife, an amazing mother to my two favorite little people, a genuine friend to many, and I love the fact that I call her my sister! Happy Birthday Christy!

Christy and I back in the day - please notice Christy's hair style and my clothing choice! 
And yes, that is a camera hanging from my neck!
Tomorrow is my next GIVE-A-WAY!!  If you love to cook, you will love the Rachael Ray cookbook I am giving to one lucky reader!  All that is required is that you are a "follower" of the blog, so if you are not simply click on the link to the right and I will announce the winner tomorrow!  I am also posting a hilarious video that Oprah made with Jimmy Kimmel.  It is Oprah like you have never seen her before!

Hope you all enjoy this "extra day"!!!

1 comment:

  1. You have totally made my day brother! I have no doubt that I am the person I am because I am surrounded by amazing people like you! Love you!!
    & we are really rocking those outfits in that pic aren.t we! the camera made me lol. :)

    ReplyDelete