Tuesday, February 21, 2012

It's That Time Of The Month

No, not THAT time of the month (although they do say that guys have them too)!  But I am definitely not talking about that.  What I am talking about is - Kevin's Time of the Month (sounds a little awkward?).  It's Kevin's Monthly Review (just sounds a little boring).  It's Kevin's Pick of the Month (I kinda like that a little better).  Maybe one day I will decide on something good - until then, feel free to leave any good suggestions in the comments below!

Each month, I like to recommend something that I want everyone to know about - a good book, movie, restaurant, website, etc.  This month it is going to be music.  My pick is not anything new really.  Unless you live under a rock, you have definitely heard of this girl, but due to all of her recent Grammy awards I just wanted to make sure that everyone is listening to her!  My pick this month is the CD - "21" by Adele.


I remember first hearing Adele on the radio in the early part of last year.  Her voice was mesmerizing, her sound was unique and refreshing, and the lyrics were real and relatable.  I quickly purchased her CD and did not stop listening to it for weeks on end.  Seriously - I played it nonstop in my car until I knew every word to every song!  There are very few CD's that I own where I could say that I love every song.  Normally, there are a lot of good songs, but there are always a few that you skip over.  That is not true with Adele.  Every song is one that you will listen to over and over!

Her album "21" is all about a breakup with a guy and her reflections on that experience.  I do not know who the guy was but her relationship and breakup with him made for some incredible songs.  I wonder what her ex thinks about all of this?  The connection throughout her music is that we can all relate to what she went through.  These songs on "21" deal with the anger, sadness, self-examination, and forgiveness that come from ending a relationship.  If you are going through a break up and play this CD - you will feel the need to turn it up and give your ex a "take that" attitude but then you will also want to sit in the dark and cry your eyes out on the next song (not me, but I have heard some people have reacted this way).  Some of my favorites include Rumor Has It (track 2), Turning Tables (track 3), and Someone Like You (track 11).  I am listening to the CD now as I write this and have it turned up loud - it's so good!

Adele's full name is Adele Laurie Blue Adkins and she is from London.  I recently learned that she was discovered when a friend of hers posted a demo Adele had recorded onto Myspace (remember Myspace?).  Her career has skyrocketed in the last few years and last week at the Grammys she won 6 awards including album of the year.  She is one of those truly talented singers that does not need a lot of "extra" to make her live performance great.  Her vocals are enough and when set to emotional music - it makes for a truly remarkable experience.  One of my goals is to see her perform live! 

If you have not purchased her album, "21", please get it today!  You will not be disappointed!  I have included a video from the Grammys last week of her performance to Rolling in the Deep - it's a great song and performance!

No comments:

Post a Comment