Monday, February 20, 2012

I Want To Walk On Fire!!



Happy Monday everyone!  I hope you all had a great weekend!  I have to admit that mine was sort of a roller coaster because there were many good moments but also some frustrating moments.  Many times when I get frustrated, I take a minute to refocus myself and will work through it.  Then there are those times that I let it get the best of me and I go into a "Kevin mood" that is never fun to be around!  By late Sunday afternoon, I was in a full blown "Kevin mood" and just felt overwhelmed with certain frustrating issues in my life. 

I had almost decided to go to bed early last night (I didn't even want to be around myself anymore) but then I remembered a show on Oprah's network (OWN) called Oprah's Next Chapter that was coming on.  Most of the time I will just let the DVR record it and watch it later, but I knew the preview showed Oprah walking across fire and I thought I might like to see that and it would probably help get me out of my mood!  I am so glad that I stayed up because it was exactly the motivation and slap in the face that I needed last night!

Oprah attended one of Tony Robbins' seminars called - Unleashing the Power Within.  I knew a little about Tony Robbins' but mainly thought of him as just another motivational speaker or someone who did a lot of late night infomercials back in the day.  This particular seminar is twelve hours a day for four days - which at first simply sounds exhausting!  The show featured highlights from the seminar.  It only covered the first day because that was all that Oprah was there for but it was enough to make me want to attend one of these conferences if I ever get the chance (although they said that the cheap seats are around $800 so it probably will not be anytime soon!).  Tony Robbins' does not like to be called a motivational speaker.  Rather, he is better known as a life coach.  He is energetic, loud, tall (he's 6'7") and very focused on helping people realize their fullest potential as human beings.  There were many take-a-ways from the show that I am sure I will share in later blogs, but the big build up was the firewalk that would happen that night.  Oprah said that when she arrived at the conference, she had no intention of walking across fire, but after being there for twelve hours, she wanted to conquer her fears and do it! 

Tony's intention for having every participant (there were 4,000 at this particular conference) walk across fire that night was to help them conquer their fear and experience a breakthrough moment.  If you can walk across fire, then what else can you do with your life?  I have to say that as the program built up to the big finale, I found myself nervous - not only for Oprah - but wondering if I would have what it took to walk across fire.  Having watched the show, I am convinced that I want to do it!  My mood was changed last night and I saw my frustrations for what they really were.  Yes, they are problems that I will work through, but they are not the end of the world like I led myself to believe earlier in the day.  I see the problem, I know what I need to do to resolve it, and I get off my butt and do it!  Working towards the resolution produces much more progress than sitting around in my own little pity party of one! 

I have included the video below from the show last night.  It is exciting and funny.  It convinced me that I want to walk across fire when I get the opportunity!  As I went to bed last night, I was reminded of my own purpose in life and what the possibilities are.  Maybe this will motivate you to do the same!



No comments:

Post a Comment