Monday, February 6, 2012

Why I Love Publix - And You Should Too!



 
I love to grocery shop!  I hear so many people saying that they hate it - but I have always enjoyed it.  I think it comes from my mom because she loves to grocery shop as well.  When we were younger, she preferred to go by herself whenever possible.  She said that my sisters and I would always ask for more than she planned to buy.  Then we would try to sneak things into the cart so that it would find its way to the checkout before she had a chance to put it back!  I think they used to make shopping carts differently because I can remember riding underneath the cart and thinking how cool that was.  Did anyone else do that as a kid?  Now when I am pushing a shopping cart, I have no idea how any child could fit under there comfortably!  Now that I think about it, maybe one of the reasons Mom loved to grocery shop was because it was time for her to be by herself - away from us kids!  Growing up, we were a Kroger and Walmart kind of family.  I am from Jackson, Tennessee, and those are really the only two choices when it comes to grocery shopping.  As I got older I heard about other stores, but only ever experienced Kroger and Walmart - until I moved to Nashville and my eyes were opened to a new store, one I had never heard of...a place called Publix. 

My first time was one that I will never forget.  As I walked through the sliding doors I was immediately greeted by such friendly faces.  All of the workers in their green shirts were walking around as though they actually enjoyed their job!  There was a different energy here than what I had experienced at other places and my heart felt all warm and tingly inside.  My first stop was the bakery - the sights and smells are what I imagine part of Heaven to be like.  Fresh bread, decadent desserts, muffins, cakes, and pies - all begging to be tasted.  As I stood smiling in the middle of the bakery section, just taking it all in I heard - Welcome to Publix, how can I help you today?  These people were so nice and offered me a sample and I love a good food sample!  As I turned the corner, I noticed a nice older lady cooking.  She was actually cooking an entire meal and offered free samples for us to try!  Of course I did not turn it down and she gave me the recipe card to go along with it.  How great is that?!  The produce section was overflowing with beautiful and fresh vegetables.  I immediately realized that this is what grocery shopping was meant to be like.  If I remember correctly, a small tear made its way down my face. 

Normally when I mention Publix to someone, their first response is - they are too high!  I cannot afford to shop there!  Although I can appreciate their response and agree that some of their products cost more than other places, I have learned the art of smart shopping and would like to pass it on to you.  My receipts now show at least a 50% savings and some items I get for practically free!  50% savings?  Almost free products? At Publix?  Kevin, that's not possible!  Yes people - I tell you the truth!  The secret lies in two words - BOGO and coupons.  Each week, Publix advertises Buy One Get One free on various items throughout the store.  At first I was buying one and also getting the free one.  Then I realized that if I just buy one - then I am getting it for half price!  (Yes, I know that is common sense for some of you, but it was actually a break through moment for me!)  The second part of the equation is coupons.  Each week now, I cut out all of the coupons in the weekly fliers.  Unless its baby products, girly products, or old people products - I cut it out because you never know what is going to go on sale.  I have an organizer and file them each week.  It is a little like the show Extreme Couponing but I am not quite to their level - not yet at least.  I have the Publix Ap on my iPhone and every Wednesday I look to see what the BOGO's (like how I use the lingo?) are for that week.  Many times, I will have a coupon to put with the product as well.  When that happens - it is an exciting moment because you save lots!  I have bought cereal for fifty cents before and Edwards frozen chocolate pies for thirty-five cents - that was such a great day!   Occasionally a fellow "couponer" will see me with my coupon organizer and share other secrets with me.  It is great how coupons will turn strangers into instant friends!

Now this is key to smart shopping at Publix.  You  have to plan your meals around your shopping, not the other way around.  If you make a meal list and try to shop for those particular items, you will not save as much.  I am able to make great meals each night with what I buy each week.  It might take a couple of weeks to stock up at first but my pantry and refrigerator now stay fully stocked - and that never happened before with those other places.  Meats and vegetables are rarely BOGO at Publix so I buy them on a need to have basis.  Before some of the moms out there blast me with emails - let me beat you to it and say - yes, I know that your results may be slightly different than mine when shopping for an entire family and yes, I also know that when you have kids you need to go to ONE store and get everything that you need in ONE stop (my sister tells me this all the time).  All I am saying is - try it!  I still visit some of the other stores from time to time to get necessary items that may not be on sale at Publix, but I would safely say that 90% of what I buy comes from Publix.  If you have never been, just try it!  The combination of exceptional customer service and great savings have made me a faithful Publix customer - and if I can help any of you save a dollar here and there - I am more than happy to share it! 

If any of you have any shopping secrets that you would like to pass along - use the comment section below to share it!  Happy Shopping Everyone!

3 comments:

  1. I think you're slowly winning me over to Public ;) Something I always try to do is if I don.t have a coupon for it I will usually get the store brand. For the most part I have found that the store brands are just as good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Publix family! As a Florida girl, I've been blessed to shop there all my life, and my Dad was a 30 year manager..."where shopping is a pleasure!"

    ReplyDelete