Monday, January 9, 2012

What Is The Possibility?



Happy Monday everyone!  I hope you all had a great weekend and are off to a great start to this second week of the new year!  Let's do a quick review of last week and then build off of that to today's topic.  First, we started with the declaration that this is the year!  The year for change, the year to live with intention, to be present in the moment, to serve others, and to step out of our comfort zone and experience life in different ways.  On Tuesday we discussed that true change in our lives will come only when we believe that it will happen and then put action to those beliefs.  Our goals need to be attainable and realistic - and also include one or two big dreams that might be out of our reach but still within the realm of possibility.  Wednesday's blog was about serving others and how we need to think outwardly as well when we choose how to live our lives in 2012.  Serving others is huge and we are given the chance to do so more times than not.  How we choose to react is what defines our character. 

As a side note - the day after posting that blog, I was driving and came to a particular red light where there is always someone standing on the side with a sign asking for help.  I have to admit that normally I do not have cash in my wallet and end up driving past them without being able to help.  As I waited for the light to turn green, I saw the man holding the sign and remembered that I had cash in my wallet.  I instantly felt the need to give whatever was in my wallet.  Then the thoughts began - I might need the money, he might not spend it on what I thought was needed, the light is about to turn green!  But I was quickly reminded of what I had written the previous day and how it is not my job to ponder on the outcome - but to simply give.  So I opened my wallet and gave the man cash and his grateful response quickly drowned out any hesitation I had before.  I was not able to change his life but I was able to hopefully make that day a little better.  I do not share that story to pat myself on the back but so simply reinforce the idea of serving others.  Many times an opportunity comes about quickly and instead of thinking too much, we simply to need to react and serve.   

Last Thursday I encouraged everyone to write out their goals for 2012.  We talked about the importance of writing it down and how it serves as a reminder to keep working until we are able to cross it off our list.  I am still working on my poster board but will post a picture this week once I get it done!

Today I want to focus on the word possibility.  When you think about your life and this year - what comes to mind as far as the possibilities?  I know that we are all different and we each have a unique purpose for our life.  Sometimes I think that we put a wall up and do not allow our lives to really explore its full potential.  One question I love is - if you did not have any fear, what would you really want to do?  Fear holds us back but if we could risk rejection or failure, we might open ourselves up to possibilities we did not even know were there.  There are many iconic figures in our culture and history that truly define possibility.  Thomas Edison, Mozart, Buzz Aldrin, Oprah, Steve Jobs, Lady Gaga, Walt Disney, Michael Jordan, Martin Luther King, James Cameron, Nelson Mandela, Pablo Picasso, Mother Teresa - I could list hundreds, and the common thread is that they all explored what could be in their life and did not let fear stand in the way.  Every time I hear of someone like this and how they used their lives I can't help but think - what could I do with mine? 

I do believe that we can keep our head in the clouds sometimes and focus so much on what the big dream is that we never actually work on getting there.  However, I do believe that what could be in our lives is never outside the realm of possibility.  We are not all called to be iconic figures or written about in the history books, but there is a possibility inside each of us that can have the same effect in the world.  I always use my dad as an example.  He was not famous or super talented, but in the fifty-three years that he was here on earth, he allowed his life to be open to the possibility - and in doing so, he impacted countless others in a positive way. 

As you continue to think of your goals for the new year, do not limit yourself.  Do not think - I could never do that.  Find your passion, your calling, what you are truly meant to do in life - and then explore the possibilities!  What is the possibility in your own life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment