Monday, January 23, 2012

There's Nothing Wrong With Me

Napoleon Dynamite - perfect example!



There is a routine to my mornings.  Monday through Fridays usually start off the same way.  Wake up, go to the bathroom, shave (every other morning), brush my teeth, shower (it's important to shave and brush my teeth before I shower, so that I am completely clean when I step out), get dressed, make my bed, make my lunch, eat breakfast, and leave for work.  My bathroom has two sinks (fancy, I know) and I always shave in the right sink and brush my teeth in the left sink. 

There's nothing wrong with me.

In the shower, the soap and shampoo bottle always face forward and upright and they need to stay that way.  The bed does need to be made each morning because it is awful to come home at night to an unmade bed.  The toilet paper roll needs to roll over, not under - it just makes sense people!  When I fold laundry, the towels are folded first, then shirts, then underwear, and end with socks.  It is the largest to smallest method of folding.

There's nothing wrong with me.

When I cook dinner, I clean up as I go.  I cannot sit down to eat while dirty dishes are just sitting in the sink staring at me.  And all dishes are prerinsed in the sink before being loaded into the dishwasher.  The thought of all that food floating around in the rinse cycle is almost more than I can handle (it was actually hard typing that last sentence). 

There's nothing wrong with me. 

When I go to the movies, we need to arrive in time to watch the previews because that is the best part.  However, if we miss the previews I will still survive but if we miss the first five minutes of the actual movie - we might as well turn around and go back home.  The opening scene to a movie is very important!  After the movie, I really like to stay through the credits.  Two reasons for this (I know you are dying to know!) - those who made the movie deserve the chance to have their names read.  There is also a chance that there will be a "bonus scene" at the end and only those of us who stay through the credits will be fortunate enough to see it!  And at the movies,we need to sit towards the back, not in the front.  Not the very back row - but somewhere in the last ten rows will be just fine.  I am thankful for those who sit in the front because it assures that I will get a seat towards the back. 

Hmmm, is there something wrong with me? 

I do like surprises but whenever possible, I like to know what the plans will be.  One of my friends loves to text me and say - be ready at 6:15pm.  Wait, what?  What are we doing?  Where are we going?  What should I wear?  Should I eat beforehand?  How do you know I don't already have plans?  OK, so I probably don't have plans but only once have I just gone with it and been ready for whatever - and it turned out to be a fun night! 

Seriously Kevin, just let go and live a little!

A large majority of the time I am outgoing and fun to be around.  However, that small percentage of time that is left is - well, it's called a Kevin mood and it is not fun for anyone that is near.  Most of the time it is brought on by hunger but there are other frustrations that can unleash the monster as well.  I will admit that I do not like being around me either during these times and it is usually best to just let me be - or feed me - either will work.  But like I said - most of the time it is all smiles with me!

This idea came about when I read an article in a magazine about little quirks that make their way into our life and to others it just sounds crazy, but to us it is completely normal, rational, and understandable.  I started writing this and the list just got longer and longer!  Yes, each one on the list makes perfect sense to me and I am sure I have left some out - but my friends and family have suggested at one time or another that I might be a little anal, controlling, uptight - it's all crazy talk, but they are entitled to their opinion, right? 

For those of you who do not know me that well - this lets you a little deeper into my life.  It is all part of what makes us unique - the good, the bad, and the oh wow moments of our lives!  What little quirks do you have in your life?  Leave it in the comments below.  Come on people - I know I am not the only one who is a little weird!  And for now I will just keep saying that there is nothing wrong with me!

4 comments:

  1. Kevin in the shower there is a certain order to washing. Hair first. Shampoo then conditioner. the conditioner stays on while I bathe. I bathe from top to bottom. There is a reason to that order. Cleanest to dirtiest. Then Rinse. Wash face last. Rinse then dry top to bottom. EVERY TIME. Is there something wrong with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy - haha! I would say that you are completely normal just like me! (unless we are both a little odd)

      Delete
  2. I see so much of myself in nearly everything you said. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. You are completely normal and no need to apologize. I need to have a clean kitchen when I wake up in the morning. I can't stand to come out and see a messy kitchen waiting for me to clean first thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could relate! It makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone in my weirdness haha! I would agree with your need for a clean kitchen for sure!

      Delete