Thursday, January 12, 2012

My Resolutions for 2012

After spending some time thinking through what I wanted to focus on for 2012, I came up with my list, wrote it down, and wanted to post it on my blog.  This helps me to remain focused, stay motivated, and be held accountable.  I have taken my own advice and included things that would help grow me as a person, cause me to think outwardly and how I can be of service to others, and also a dream that will take a lot of work to accomplish.  I wanted to be realistic with my goals but also push myself to develop more into who I am meant to be.  So here it is - my list of resolutions for the new year!

1.  My person - I plan to remain focused on making healthy eating choices and drinking more water.  When it comes to food I do believe in all things in moderation (chocolate and Mexican food are must haves for me!) but I want a strong majority of what I eat and drink to benefit my health and body.  I also want to work out four times a week and train for a 1/2 marathon this year.  One last goal I have this year when it comes to myself is updating my wardrobe and clothing style.  Yes, it may be a rather vain goal, but I know that when you feel good about the way you look then you feel better about yourself.  So here's to looking good this year! 

2.  Service to others - I do want to focus a lot of my time on serving others.  One simple way is through cards of encouragement.  I love receiving a card in the mail and I want to do better at sending out cards - not birthdays, holidays, or special events - but just a random card of encouragement.  I also want to find opportunities to volunteer in my city and help out whenever needed.  When those moments present itself in my life to do something good, I do not want to hesitate but seize the moment!  Carpe diem people!

3.  My finances - I will be the first to admit that I have never been a "money-wise" type of guy.  Suze Orman would definitely give me a smack down!  More times than not, my money controls me but this year I plan to control my money and make it work for me.  I want to be responsible with my money, save as much as I can, and be faithful at tithing to my church.  My financial advisor (aka - my bestie Richard) is good at reminding me how much I have to learn when it comes to money so I need to make him proud this year!

4.  Pursuing a passion - I love to write and the two avenues I want to use to express this passion is through my blog and continued work on my book.  Writing four blogs a week is a great way for me to exercise this ability.  Plans for my book (titled, Standing On The Edge) include setting small goals to see the finished product complete by the fall of this year.  I love the process of writing and want to be more disciplined with both the blog and the book to make them effective and worthwhile.   

5.  A bigger dream - I believe that everyone should have a goal that seems a little out of reach and mine would be the Pay It Forward events here in Nashville.  I want to start small but end with events across the city that would bring happiness to deserving people and inspire others to do the same.  I know a step by step plan to get there and have a strong desire to implement that plan now. 

I know that every one of these goals are possible and keeping my list somewhat small helps me to remain focused.  As the year goes on, we will see how these resolutions become reality and where it takes me in life.  I am very aware that we can plan all we want, but life can take us in many different directions (more to be said about that in a later blog)  - but that is also the exciting part of life.  However, I do believe in goals and always working towards bigger things in life.  I hope all of you are doing the same!  Have a great weekend and I will see you on Monday!


This week I am grateful for:  1.  Getting rest - I tried an earlier bedtime this week and it has really helped!  2.  Great things happening in many friends' lives  3.  Funny stories about my sisters being sick (it sounds bad I know, but maybe I can share them in an upcoming blog!)  4.  Watching a documentary called, I Am - very encouraging and thought-provoking  5.  The first snowfall today - it was brief, but beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment