Monday, January 30, 2012

Making It Rain Up In Here



If you have read my blog for any amount of time, you probably know that I love, love, love the church that I attend.  I have been going to Crosspoint Church here in Nashville for almost a year now and it has greatly enhanced my life.  Yesterday, Pastor Pete approached the the topic of money.  In most churches, people usually look for the nearest exit when the pastor starts talking about money because they assume that he will be asking the members (and even the visitors sometimes) to give more money - and most of the time they are right.  However, knowing Pastor Pete's heart and the overall goal of Crosspoint I was not too concerned about looking for an escape route.  What I did not expect though was how convicted I would be in other ways. 

Let me give a little background information about myself.  This is one of those times where I need to admit one of my flaws (yes, it's hard to believe) but I agreed to be upfront and honest in my blog and know that I can learn from my own vulnerability.  I know people who are very money smart, budget oriented, and financially stable.  I have much respect for these people because for whatever reason, I am not that kind of person.  I have come a long way in my learning and am more conscious of my financial stability and instability - but I still have much to learn and achieve when it comes to finances.  I guess I did not pay attention when I was younger and it has shown here and there in my adulthood.  The good news is that things are on the up and up (don't worry - there will be no link at the bottom asking for donations!) but I have had to struggle at times because of poor choices that I made when it came to money. 

Pastor Pete spoke about money and giving and greed.  He made the point that many of us struggle with giving - whether it is to the church, to people in our lives, or just life in general - because we lack the faith to believe and the perspective of who claims ownership in our lives in the first place.  We are afraid to give because we look at our bank balance and either think that there is not enough or that what is in there is rightfully ours and not there to share. I do believe that we should give financially to the church that we attend.  Last year I was sporadic in my giving for the very reason that I did not think I had enough to pay bills and give.  This year, one of my resolutions is to give each week - not only to the church but to other organizations and people as the opportunity arises. 

The statement that was made Sunday that really stuck out to me was when Pete said - If you do not give when you make $22,000 a year then what makes you think you will give when you make $44,000 a year or $144,000 a year?  This was not anything new to me, but I was immediately drawn to thoughts I have all the time when it comes to money and giving.  I have said to myself, family, and friends many times that I would like to be famous - not for the sake of being famous, but to have a larger platform to make a bigger difference in the world.  I have also said that if I had more financial resources - either from fame, or career, or Publisher's Clearing House knocking on my door (wouldn't that be great!) - I am confident that I would share so much of it with others and give, give, give.  I do believe that I have the right intentions and that my motives are good for wanting fame or more money but when Pastor Pete made that statement - I felt as thought the entire room grew dark and the spotlight was shining bright on my life.  What am I doing with the financial resources that I do have right now?  Am I being faithful to give to my church each week?  Am I giving to those in need?  Am I sharing what I do have with others keeping in mind that what I do have is really not mine to own anyway?  (Read that last sentence one more time)  It is not the first time in church that I wanted to stand up and shout - OK, I hear you!  I get the point!  I am not wealthy but how am I using the money that I have been given?  I am not famous (not yet, at least) but how am I using the opportunities I have been given to impact others?  If I am not using what I have now - what in the world makes me think that I would be given more?

That is what we have to remember people!  Our money, our resources, our material possessions mean nothing if we are not using them to make a difference in the lives of others.  It is true that it really does not belong to us in the first place.  There is nothing wrong with having nice things but if it is all about us and what we are accumulating, then it creates a very shallow and unfulfilled life.  We have all heard that we live in the wealthiest of countries and that many who make meager salaries in our country are rich compared to millions of others across the world.  We must realize the importance of giving and to not wait until we have more - but give now with what we do have.  One thing I love about our pastor is the way he ended his message.  He said that he did not care if we gave our money to Crosspoint or not.  Those who do give to the church get caught up in the percentage sometime.  We may give 10% or 20% or 5%.  His encouragement was not in the rules, but that we would experience the joy that comes through giving - not just financially - but of our time and abilities as well. 

I walked away with a strong reminder to be faithful with what I have now.  I cannot keep waiting for what might happen in the future.  I need to make sure I am giving now.  My encouragement would be the same for you.  No matter if you are living paycheck to paycheck or have an abundance of wealth - I challenge you to give, to not be greedy, to not come up with excuses - and see how it changes your life. 


Don't forget this Wednesday is the drawing for the Target gift card!!  Make sure you are a follower of the blog and I will announce the winner this Wednesday, February 1st!!

No comments:

Post a Comment