Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What is Your Intention?

This past Sunday at church, we watched a video of our pastor, Pete Wilson, interviewing Matt Hasselback, the quarterback of the Tennessee Titans.  I am going to make a confession and say that I thought Matt was married to Elisabeth Hasselback from The View.  So I was a little surprised when Pastor Pete asked Matt about his wife Sara!  However, thanks to Wikipedia, I have now learned that Matt is Tim Hasselback's brother - who IS married to Elisabeth.  Basically - I do not keep up with sports so my only tie to Matt Hasseblack was that he might be married to a celebrity. 

It was an interesting and very engaging interview.  One of the main things that I took away from what Matt said was how he lives his life with such intention.  In his personal and professional life, there is great purpose in the decisions that he makes.  He knows that his fame gives him a platform to make a difference and he does not take that lightly.  He is a husband and a father and he knows the importance of working on each relationship.  His daughters are young and he knows that their definition of a future husband will be based on what they see day in and day out with him and his wife.  Even with the hectic schedule of a professional athlete, he puts the work in to keep his marriage strong and vibrant.  Matt said that this drive to succeed and live life with integrity comes from his own upbringing as well as a natural fire within him to make the most of this life. 

This should have us all thinking about our own lives.  In our own goals and purposes, what is our intention?  If it is to simply put our lives on show, then the ulterior motive will cause our lives to seem unfulfilled.  However, if our intention is to improve our lives and ultimately to be used for the greatest good, then there is going to be purpose, depth, and a force in our lives that will be greater than ourselves.  In our relationships, what is our intention?  When we are friends with someone, dating someone, married to someone only because we want something out of it for ourselves - then those relationships are not genuine and most likely will end in hurt and confusion.  But when we put the work into it and strive to both benefit each other, then that relationship will flourish and greatly enhance both lives.  Our intentions play a part of our daily decisions, our career choices, and the direction that our lives take. 

The thing about intention is that we cannot hide its truth from our lives.  Whether good or bad, it will always come out.  I have not always had a conscious awareness of my intentions in life, but it is something I have used recently and it really helps to keep myself focused on what are not only my true priorities but also those goals that I should continue to pursue.  Whatever your next decision in life is - think about your intention.  What is your true reason for doing it?  Allow those pure and good intentions help to drive yourself to a more fulfilled and meaningful life.

Today I am grateful for:  1.  The cold weather - I love it!  2.  The Christmas lights in my neighborhood - it's looking great!  3.  Having lunch with a group of friends today  4.  Hearing a miracle story about a friend's daughter  5.  Ending the month of November and officially entering into my favorite time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment