Monday, December 5, 2011

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year....

Yes, it is here!  My absolute favorite time of the year!  The hustle and bustle, the music (bring out Mariah Carey's Christmas CD!), the parties, the lights, the shopping, the church services, and the magic of Christmas Eve.  It is also the time for traffic, pushing and shoving in the stores, stressing over what to buy, maxing out credit cards, and yes - Justin Bieber's overly played Christmas C.D.  (Speaking of the Biebs - did anyone see Justin and Mariah Carey's new Christmas video - awkward!)  There is definitely something about December where everything seems to come alive, the goodness of humanity shines through, and a simple Merry Christmas from a stranger makes your day better. 

I have to admit that one of my favorite parts of Christmas are the lights.  I can turn all the lights off in my living room, lay on the couch, and stare at my Christmas tree for hours.  I have been that way since I was younger.  There is something about it that is just mesmerizing to me.  I love driving around looking at Christmas lights and my neighborhood is a great place to see some festive displays!  Sure some people could use some help, but I try not to judge - I'm excited that they tried!  I remember growing up that Dad always wanted to try and mimic the Griswold house from Christmas Vacation!  We never blew out any fuse boxes, but we did try and add more each year - fun and funny memories. 

It is very easy to get caught up in the craziness of the holidays and let it pass by without making it truly meaningful.  I always love going to church services and really taking the time to reflect and to be in awe of why we celebrate this day in the first place - the fact that the God of the universe chose to take on human form and to experience life as we do so that our lives could truly be made worth living.  Although there is the saying that some people only go to church on Christmas Day and Easter, I am grateful for anyone that takes a moment to acknowledge this truth and to grasp the wonder of what actually happened.  I also love the fact that people are just more giving during this time of year.  There are countless ways to help others at Christmas time and there is no excuse for any of us not to.  From angel trees and bell ringers at the mall, to children and families in our own neighborhoods that could use a little help - it is so important that we GIVE and not just receive.  I have always said that the giving is far better than receiving and I challenge all of us to do whatever we can to help brighten someone else's holiday this year!

I am sure that I will have more posts about Christmas throughout the month but I encourage everyone to make a conscious effort to truly make the most of the holiday.  Go to the parties, decorate your house, play the music, spend time with family and friends.  Find ways to help others and remember what it is all about.  I am going to focus on enjoying every aspect of this Christmas season - and maybe I won't change the station the next time I hear Justin Bieber singing a carol.


Today I am grateful for:  1.  A fun weekend with friends  2.  Exciting church service on Sunday  3.  Finishing up the Christmas decorating at my house  4.  Both of my sisters making me laugh today when I was a little stressed  5.  All the Christmas lights in my neighborhood

No comments:

Post a Comment