Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Turning 36 is Looking Pretty Good....

I can't believe it has been a week since I posted anything!  As the title suggests, my birthday was last week and due to the festivities I did not get a chance to blog.  I have always gone with the motto that age is just a number and this year is no exception.  Of course there were comments from dear friends about getting older but I have to say that I love being in my 30's!  Although there are changes that I still want to make, I know for sure that there is so much to be thankful for in my life.  Turning 36 is not a milestone but I was reminded these past few days of how great life truly is. 

One of the benefits of facebook is that it makes everyone's birthday brighter!  I loved hearing from friends that I have not talked to in a long time and it was a lot of fun to read everyone's messages.  I am the first to admit that I would not know anyone's birthday if it were not for facebook so thanks to all of those who took a moment to post on my wall.  That night I had the chance to do something I have wanted to do for years - see the play WICKED!  I have always heard great things about this show and it definitely exceeded my expectations!  It is so well written, really funny, and very interesting to visit a prequel to The Wizard of Oz.  The actors were so talented, the singing was superb, and were it not for some lady behind me that made a comment every five minutes I believe I would have teared up at the end.  The experience of seeing a Broadway play is one everyone should experience in their life - and if you have not seen WICKED, go see it!  Thanks Jordan for making that happen for me. 

On Saturday, my two sisters - Christy and Cara, and my niece and nephew - Martha Ann and Wylie came over to celebrate.  Cara arrived first and as I was about to come down the stairs she told me to wait a minute.  I began thinking that she must have made a huge birthday banner and was hanging it up as a surprise for me.  Or maybe she was filling the living room up with helium balloons - something I have always wanted to do.  Upon her cue, I ran down the stairs anxious to see this grand gesture!  There were no banners or balloons - instead there were some leftover birthday streamers she found at her house hanging in the doorway.  What?!?!  Just kidding Cara - it was fun and funny all at the same time. 

We decided to go to a Pumpkin Patch, another first for me, and let the kids pick out pumpkins and have fun exploring.  I was looking forward to the corn maze - which would be a first for me as well!  The farm was beautiful and there were corn mazes, hayrides, farm animals, trails, and a pumpkin patch.  I have to admit the corn maze was a slight disappointment.  I believe it was meant for little kids but even Martha Ann, who is 2 years old, was over it after the first five minutes.  Let's just say that going forward I will say that I have yet to go through a real corn maze.  However the rest of the activities were a lot of fun - we all went on a hayride, saw the chickens, goats, cows, and turkeys, played in the barns and watched Martha Ann go from scared to death on the slides to loving it in a matter of minutes.  It was a wonderful day and we all ended up with pumpkins that we later decorated for Halloween.  If you are on my facebook page - pictures will be posted soon.   

I know that some people dread birthdays, but to me it is one of those things that you cannot change so why not make the most of it!  Between the facebook posts, the phone calls, the text messages, the cards, the events, and yes - even the pitiful birthday streamers I had to take a moment and reflect on life and be grateful.  It was such a great birthday and I am thankful to all who played a part in it.  I am looking forward to all that 36 has in store for me and I definitely believe that it will only get better! 



Today I am grateful for:  1.  The past 35 years of life and all that is to come  2.  All the little moments that happened to make it such a great day  3.  Spending Saturday with family and loving every minute of it (except the corn maze)  4.  All the trick or treaters that invaded our neighborhood last night  5.  Really good food I had over the weekend at 2 of my favorite restaurants 

No comments:

Post a Comment