Tuesday, March 20, 2012

When Life Confirms Your Calling


Some people call them light bulb moments.  Others call them aww snap moments.  Oprah calls them aha moments.  Whatever you want to call it,  I love it when life confirms that you are on the right path and your brain clicks and you say - thank you

I recently started reading through some of my old journals.  Not only were they hilarious because some of the things I wrote about seemed so important at the time, but it also caused me to stop and connect some of my past experiences to what I am doing now in life.  That is when the aww snap happened!

Growing up, I was very involved in music at my church.  During my high school and college years, I led worship at my church and various other events.  I always loved being a part of that because I knew it was a part of what I was meant to do.  It would help others in their spiritual walk and experience the fullness of life.  I also recalled a project I used to do in college called "the letters."  These were pre-blogging and social media days.  Each week, I would send out a letter to a group of high school students.  The purpose was to encourage, motivate, and challenge them in their life.  It started with a small group of students and quickly grew.  I loved doing that as well and using what I learned in my life to help others in their own journeys.  The common thread in those situations was that I was being used to help others live better lives. 

These are two examples of ways that I believe I have cultivated and expressed my own purpose in life and that also ties in to what I pursue now.  Over the last few years, I realized how much I enjoy writing and using that avenue to creatively express myself.  I have always believed that my purpose in life was to be used to help others live better lives.  With this blog and working on another book, I can continue my calling in life.  Of course, my goal is to be able to do this full time and I do believe that with hard work and determination, it will happen.  Taking a look back strengthened my determination to pursue these dreams and to not give up.  I was able to see in hindsight and know that whether I was leading worship, sending out letters, working with youth, or helping others - it was all a part of fulfilling my purpose that God has me on this earth to do. 

I share all of this to encourage you to look back at your life and see how different events, experiences, and jobs are connected with your own purpose in life.  Taking a look back might even help you discover your own purpose if you are unsure what it is.  At times, I feel like my life's path is full of twists, turns, and detours - but I realized that the path was not as crooked as I thought it was. 

That was a great aha moment for me!  Oprah would be so proud. 

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm another book.. Have you already written one... And I remember the help you were for me brother... I wish I had an old Kevin around me now... One that was like you were for me back in the day.

    ReplyDelete