Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Some Pretty Good Suggestions On Life



My father passed away in 2004 and after he died, I discovered a handwritten list that he had given both of my sisters while they were growing up and getting out on their own.  He entitled it, Dad's Suggestions, and I have found them to be very practical, insightful, and encouraging.  I love that he called them suggestions instead of rules.  He lived out each of these and wanted to pass them along as guidelines for living a better life.  I have them framed in my room and I refer to it often.  I thought it would be great to pass them along to you.  We will talk more on these in the coming days.  You will see that they are simple but Dad would assure each of us that following them would help us experience a deeper and more fulfilled life.

Dad's Suggestions:

1.  Look at each day as a gift from God.

2.  Be thankful.  Don't take for granted what you are given.

3.  Appreciate your family.

4.  Love God, others, and yourself.

5.  Be honest in all you do.  Do not lie, steal, or cheat.

6.  Learn how to handle money.  Have a checking account, savings account, and spend wisely.

7.  Give God a 10% tithe in all you earn

8.  Discipline yourself in taking care of yourself.  Sleep, Food, and Exercise.

9.  Go to church at least once a week to worship.

10.  Respect authority.

11.  Have a daily quiet time

12.  Each day help someone in need or compliment someone.

13.  Work hard at whatever you are doing.  Give a little more than what you are paid for or expected of you.

14.  Have a sense of humor.  Don't be afraid to laugh at yourself.

15.  Take care of friendships.

16.  Volunteer sometimes.

17.  Forgive others.  Don't hold grudges.

18.  Read a book.

19.  Help someone without expecting anything in return.

20.  Be the best you can be and do whatever it takes to prepare yourself. 


My dad was one of the best I have known at finding true joy in the simple things in life.  He made a difference in the lives of so many others and whenever I read over these suggestions, it reminds me of how he lived his own life.  I encourage you to read over these periodically and see how you can apply them to your day to day experiences.  Always strive for the good life!

No comments:

Post a Comment