Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mahalia Jackson and Celine Dion...

So how do these two people fit into my life today?  Let's get right to it...

I have to say that this has been a really good day.  I go to Christ Church here in Nashville and I really like it there.  The music is really good, the preaching is encouraging and challenging, and the members are made up of various races and cultures.  I really like that about the church.  Today's service was no exception.  Halfway through the service we watched a video of Mahalia Jackson singing right before Martin Luther King Jr made his famous I Have a Dream speech.  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TALcOreZi0A)  The story of her life is very inspiring.  Through all that went on through the civil rights movement, she focused on the good in her life and what she knew to be true.  I learned that her singing actually had a profound effect on what Martin Luther King Jr said that day.  It was really good to see different races singing together at church and seeing the progress that has been made since that historical day.  Every Sunday I am definitely motivated to live life more fully and to be very grateful for the blessings in my life.  Today's service and Mahalia Jackson's story definitely did that today. 

As I was eating lunch today, I watched Celine Dion's special - Through the Eyes of the World.  You may or may not be a fan of Celine, but watching this movie made me see how big her life really is.  The video documented her world tour and all that she got to experience during that year.  It was amazing and I love seeing how big some people's lives are.  I definitely believe that every person can experience a full life in many different ways- and not everyone is going to travel the world to do it - but deep inside me is a longing to have a very big life.  It's a great movie to watch (especially for all the Celine fans - my mom being one of them!). 

I love my life and I have experienced many things in the past 35 years but I also have this longing to do so much more.  That's really what my goals for this year center around.  I really want my life to make a difference in the world.  I have so much to be thankful for, but I don't know that I will ever be content - because I always want to push myself to do more.  To open my heart wider, to experience life more fully, and to really live out the purpose that God has placed in my soul. 

So today I am thanking Mahalia Jackson and Celine Dion for motivating me to truly live life - who knew?!  :)

Oh, and my new favorite sandwich at Subway is the Buffalo Chicken sandwich - you should try it!  And I went to Target today and got a pair of jeans, 2 zip-up pullovers, and a pair of boxers for just $20!  I love their clearance rack and the nice lady at the register celebrated my "great deals" with me ha!  I'm looking forward to watching the Golden Globes tonight - being a professional actor is something I've always wanted to experience (you should see home movies of me as a kid lol) so I love watching the awards shows and seeing if my favorite movies win.  So it should be a really good night! 

Today, I am grateful for:  1.  Great service at church today  2.  Buffalo chicken sandwich at Subway  3.  Being motivated to live a bigger life  4.  Target's clearance rack  5.  The life of Mahalia Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment