Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Best Of... #2



Announcements first!  Next Monday, April 2nd I am launching my brand new blog site - www.livingoutmyjourney.com -  and I am very excited about how things started for me a couple of years ago as a beginner blogger and has now grown into a passion for writing that I want to pursue full time!  I hope that all of you will follow me over to the new site next week and help spread the word.  Also, our next give-a-way is next Monday as well and one lucky reader will receive a one year subscription to the new HGTV magazine!  It is a great magazine that I love with great ideas for your home.  Just make sure you are a "follower" of the blog and I will announce the winner on Monday, April 2nd! 

Normally a week of reruns is not a favorite of mine, but I decided to have a "best-of" this week and repost the top 4 most read blogs.  I must admit that I have really enjoyed seeing what you all responded to the most!  On Monday, we rediscovered the concept of standing in your own truth and experiencing the freedom and joy that comes from living in truth.  Yesterday, we reread the miracle day of my cousin and how her story of healing at seven years old reminds us to believe in divine power and to make the most of our days here on earth.  Today's post is number two on the list and I am so glad that it made the top four because we all need to laugh!  It was written on January 19, 2012 and this story of both of my sisters' encounter with "the death virus" seemed to cause a lot of laughter!  Happy reading!!


It's Time For A Laugh - At My Sisters' Expense!


Since today is about fun, I wanted to share a funny story about my two sisters, Christy and Cara. As siblings, we have a great relationship and one overriding theme in our experiences is that we can find the humor in any situation. This may sound odd to others but one of our favorite things to laugh about is when one of us gets sick (it really does sound bad, doesn't it?). In the moment, we are sympathetic and do what we can to help the other get better but within a reasonable amount of time (usually about 24 hours) we will begin joking at the expense of the one went knocking on death's door. The laughter has been towards me many times before and trust me - my sisters found humor in my vulnerable moments rather quickly but this time it was my turn to do the laughing!

Christy and Cara were together in a public setting a couple of weekends ago. Little did they know that "the death virus" as it came to be known, was making its way through the crowd. I am sure many of you have experienced the death virus. Without going into too much detail it involves twenty-four hours of aches, pains, chills, sweats, and very frequent sprints to the bathroom! There are usually a couple of times during that twenty-four hour span that you just pray for your life to end because death would be better than what you are experiencing in that moment! Now that we understand what the death virus is - let us continue on with the story.

Christy was the first victim. It came on rather suddenly and she immediately made her first of many sprints to the bathroom. Again, they were in a public setting and so she had to go to a public bathroom. On a positive note, this was a one person bathroom so she was still able to maintain some privacy. Cara noticed after awhile that she had not seen Christy and began a search. Cara walked around for what seemed like an hour before finding Christy - but nothing could have prepared Cara for what she would find. Christy had pretty much set up house in this public restroom. She had become so sick that the only comfort that could be found was laying down on the floor. That's right folks - Christy laid her face on the public bathroom floor! Dignity was thrown out the window. Modesty and self respect were no more. What Cara found when she opened the door was her sister, half-dressed and face to the floor. After Cara recovered from that horrible sight, they were able to get Christy to a car in order to take her home and out of the public view. I wonder what people thought as she walked out of the building? As Christy's husband drove her home, she had another "moment" and all that could be done was stick her head out the window and let the "moment" pass. I heard that there were convulsions, kicking, and moaning (is that normal?) - and that remnants of "the moment" were left all down the side of the vehicle! That is quite a sight for all of us to take in right now. Can you imagine those people that were innocently driving down the road and looked over and beheld - the monster!

Cara thought that the death virus had passed her by but a couple of days later, it came knocking on her door. She was home alone and Christy called me to ask if I would check on Cara. I called - no answer. I sent a text - no answer. I began to wonder if the virus had won but then later that night, my phone rang. Cara had now been fighting with the virus for about twelve hours and it was quickly winning. She began telling me (in detail - which I will spare you, the reader) how she was burning up and freezing at the same time. She spoke of how many constant sprints to the bathroom there were to have "moments." At one point, she crawled out of the bathroom and laid on the hardwood floor in her hallway - half naked - simply because it felt good. (What is it with being naked on cold floors?) A friend of hers had dropped off some crackers and Sprite by her front door. As Cara struggled to get to the front door, she opened it and grabbed the items - only then realizing that she was not wearing much, but did not care. Once again, all modesty and self-respect are gone with the death virus!  Cara than asked if I could come to her house the next day and deliver some much needed supplies - Gatorade, Lysol, Pepto Bismol tablets, and toilet paper. She said that she was going to try and go to school so I agreed to come up and drop off the survival kit while she was away. Basically that meant that yes, I will help you but no, I do not want you to be there spreading your germs on me! When I arrived at her house, all I could think was - I cannot get the death virus! I cannot get the death virus! I took a deep breath, unlocked her back door and ran in - dropped the supplies off in the kitchen, grabbed the Lysol and made a mad dash through her house spraying things down. Her house was dark and for a brief moment I wondered if Cara was laying on the couch while I was spraying it down. I did not wait around to see because I was holding my breath the entire time.

Both Christy and Cara have survived the death virus and are now back to their normal selves. No more laying down in public restrooms, no more nakedness in the hallway - they have regained their self respect - only to now relive it for the world through my blog. In all honesty, I am glad that they recovered and I am really glad that I did not get it! But trust me - it did not take long for us to laugh about that experience and make fun of each other! And yes, they know that being a part of my life means that you might get included in my blog. 

I do not have many pictures of me and my sisters
 but this is one that is a couple of years old. 
Christy, Cara, my niece Martha Ann, and myself 











No comments:

Post a Comment